Chapter 37

Michael's POV

It had been two weeks. Two since the Thanksgiving disaster, two weeks since I've slept, and two weeks since me and Carter broke up.

I don't know if I really believe she did it. I never thought that she would do something like that but the proof is here, in black and white.

"Hey. Michael. Get the fuck up," I heard Avery say. I groaned and turned onto my stomach in the bed.

"Leave me alone." I muttered.

"No. I am not leaving you alone. You've been in this bed for two weeks. You probably smell like ass by now."

I turned onto my back and looked at her. "I can't help it. I'm heartbroken."

"Oh, give me a break," she scoffed. "Car didn't do that shit and you know it just as well as I do."

"How do you explain the pictures then?"

"I don't know but I'm calling bullshit on your dad."

I sat up in my bed and swung my legs over the side. "I know me and Joseph haven't always had the best relationship but he has always had my best interest at heart."

"Your best interest or his wallet's best interest?"

I looked at her and she held her hands up in mock surrender.

"I just want you to think about this shit rationally, that's all," she told me.

"Ok but could you stop cursing?" I winced.

"Michael, you know I wouldn't be me if I didn't cuss," she laughed.

I shrugged. "Fair enough." I stood up and walked into my bathroom. I turned on the shower and stripped out of my clothes before getting inside.

While I washed myself, I started thinking. Carter doesn't even have the personality of someone that would cheat. And if she did cheat, when did she have the time? She's always either at work or here with me. As far as I know, she hasn't even spoken to Dominic in months.

Where's Joseph's concerned, he's never liked her, even before we started dating. If he wanted to break us up, he has all the motivation to do so.

I turned off the shower and got out. I grabbed a towel and dried myself off. I walled out of my bathroom and over to the closet. I pulled out a dark blue button up and black jeans and put them on. I used the towel to dry my hair but I decided to just leave it down and let it air dry completely.

I walked downstairs and just as I stepped off the last step, the front door opened and Carter walked in. She looked up and gasped when she saw me.

"Oh, Avery told me that you weren't here," she said.

"Well, here I am. What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I can't find my notebook."

"The one you write your stories in?"

She nodded. "I figure if its not at my place, it must be here."

"Oh, ok. Well, feel free to look around."

"Thanks." She set her keys and purse down on the table that was near the front door and walked into the living room.

I followed behind her and leaned against the doorway. She got down and looked under the couch and then lifted the cushions.

"Why'd you ask Avery if I was here or not?" I asked her.

"Because I didn't wanna see you and I figured you didn't wanna see me."

Ouch. I sighed while she got up on her feet again. She was about to walk past me to leave the living room when I grabbed her arm. She glared at me but didn't attempt to move her arm.

"I miss you," I confessed. Her face softened a little but she still had a frown on her face.

"That's a little surprising, considering you basically kicked me out of your house."

"I was just angry," I sighed. "Can you blame me?"

"Yeah, actually I can. You jumped to conclusions without giving me a chance to explain myself!"

"If you wanted to explain yourself, why'd you just leave? You didn't even put up a fight."

"I didn't put up a fight because you were being irrational and you were highly pissed so I just left it alone. Besides, why would I fight and argue over something that I know isn't true?" She said.

I let go of her arm and rubbed my face with my hands. "You're right. It was wrong of me to accuse you without properly hearing you out and I'm sorry for that."

She raised an eyebrow. "That's the only thing you're sorry for?"

"Yeah," I shrugged. "What else do I have to apologize for?"

"Um, how about even believing that I would cheat on you in the first place?! How about not defending me when your father called me a whore?!" She yelled.

"Carter, I can't just snap on Joseph like you want me to-"

"I just want you to stand up for me. Stand up for us. You let him sit there and degrade our relationship."

"I didn't! I didn't even have time to defend us, with how everything escalated so quick," I replied. "Look, I'm sorry for not defending you and I'm sorry for believing that you'd cheat on me."

She sighed and leaned against the wall, crossing her arms over her chest. "I can't do this Michael."

Those words immediately struck fear in my heart. "Do what?"

"This. Us. Its too much going on. Between the baby and our parents and your father's hellbent intention on breaking us up, I feel like I'm loosing my mind."

I walked up to her and held her hands in mine. "Let me help you. You don't have to deal with everything on your own." I brought her hands up to my lips and kissed her knuckles.

"Sometimes its better to do things on your own. I just.....I just need some space for a while," she told me.

"Ok, I guess. So does this mean we're broken up?" I asked, hoping she'd say no.

"I don't know. I just have to think things over for a while."

I nodded. "Ok." I hung my head down and pouted. She removed her hands from mine and put her hands on my cheeks to make me look at her.

"Hey, I still love you. That hasn't changed and it never will."

"It doesn't really feel like you do, if I'm being honest," I admitted. "I feel like you're just giving up on us."

"I'm not. I need to take a step back because I feel like if I don't, shit is going to get even worse and I don't want that for us." She trailed her thumb back and forth across my bottom lip.

"I don't either so I guess I understand," I said. "Just don't stay away too long, ok?"

She nodded and smiled softly. She leaned forward and softly pecked my lips.

"I love you Applehead."

"I love you too baby girl."

She smiled and laid her forehead against mine. "I should go."

"Ok. I'll walk you out." She stood up straight and walked towards the door, me following behind her. She picked up her keys and purse and opened the door.

"Call me of you need me, ok?" I told her.

"I will," she nodded. "Same goes for you."

I nodded and she walked down the path to her car. She got inside and started the car. She waved and pulled off towards the highway. I closed the door and sighed. I know she said she just needed space but why does this feel permanent?

Please comment, vote, and fan! Thanks guys ✌.