Chapter 13

Michael's POV

I was busy running around my house, trying to make sure everything was running smoothly. Today was October 14th, Carter's 28th birthday and I decided to throw her a party. People had already started arriving but it wasn't too full yet.

I was talking to the chef when I felt someone touch my shoulder. I turned around and saw Janet standing there.

"Dunk!" I grabbed her and hugged her tight. I hadn't seen her since that family day, and that was over three months ago.

"Hey Mike!"

"I thought you weren't gonna be able to come?"

"I pulled some strings so that I could. But I am gonna have to work my ass off when I get back."

I laughed. "How's the new album coming along?"

"Almost done. It should be out by the end of the year."

I smiled. I loved Janet's music and I couldn't wait to hear it.

"Where's Carter?" Janet asked, looking around.

"Still getting dressed. Matter of fact, I should go hurry her up. Dunk, do me a favor? Greet people for me till I come back."

"No problem big brother."

"Thanks Dunk." I kissed her cheek. I ran up the stairs and to my bedroom. I opened the door and walked in.

"Carter? Are you ready? People are already arriving."

"I'm ready, I'm ready," she walked out of the bedroom and my jaw dropped. She had on a red lace bodycon dress with red heels. Her hair was bone straight, with half up in a ponytail and the other half hanging down. She had a little makeup but not too much. She was breathtaking.

"What?" She asked, smiling at me. "Is there something on my face?"

I walked over to her and grabbed her hands so that I was holding them. "You're beautiful baby."

"Thank you," she blushed.

"I almost don't wanna take you downstairs."

"Why?"

"I don't want anyone looking at you," I confessed. "You're mines."

She rolled her eyes and smirked. "You'll be fine. Now, come on."

She held my hand and led me out of the room and down the stairs. Everyone cheered when they saw her and she was pulled away from me as she talked to everyone.

I was standing by the bar, drinking a ginger ale when Jackie and Marlon came up to me.

"Hey little bro," Jackie said before shaking my hand.

"Hey. I'm happy y'all made it," I told them.

"Oh, we love Carter. We wouldn't miss it," Marlon replied. "Speaking of the birthday girl, where is she?"

Just then, Carter walked over to us.

"Marlon! Jackie!" She ran and gave them each a hug as they each told her happy birthday. "Thanks for coming!"

"No problem," Jackie said.

"We left your gifts on the table over there," Marlon pointed to the gift table that had a bunch of boxes on it.

"Aww, you guys didn't have to get me anything."

"Don't worry about it. We wanted to," Jackie said. "But we would like a favor from you."

"What's that?"

"Do you have any single friends that you can introduce us to?" Marlon jumped in.