CHAPTER 1: The Art of getting by

JESSICA

I cried for a week after my father left.

Thank heavens for Odessa Vecker because she made sure I got to stay in Oakwood University and kept me going before summer ended.

She also helped me apply for student aid and a scholarship that covered 30% of my tuition. I have to make the rest somehow and luckily for me, I was smart enough to start saving for a car and had been a cheapo since arriving in Massachusetts.

Being a pretty redhead over the years also helped because people (okay, men) are a sucker for a British accent and long legs.

Sadly, even with the saving, student aid and scholarship, it still didn't make a dent because private University is freaking expensive and theatre fees like wardrobe and trips are excluded from the already ridiculous tuition.

I had to make a plan and I did. I sold some of my things on EBay, put the rest in Vecker's storage and got another job. I babysat over the years for extra money for summer break trips but I needed more this time.

Fortunately, the babysitting led to another job, one that consumed my entire summer and was kind to my wallet.

That's right, I spend my junior year summer at a private acting camp for preteens and teenagers as a camp counselor. It covered, housing, food and the pay guaranteed I wouldn't be homeless or couch surfing for my first semester.

Yesterday was the last day which means all the campers are back home and tonight is the Staff Leaver's Party which is just an excuse to drink since most have us have been sober all summer.

And senior year starts in 3 weeks but I am far from ready. I have two jobs, one as a weekend dog walker and I will still babysit but I need a 3rd job with better pay and flexible hours.

"What do you think?" Jade, the counselor I was sharing a house with steps out in a Harley Quinn assemble.

"Perfect," I assure and she beams light a Christmas tree.

Did I mention the party was costume themed? I love the arts but whoever came up with the idea was not cool.

And I am the bigger loser because I am dressed as Pamela Anderson from Barb Wire since I had a faux leather set laying around but it's cold as a mother today.

"I told you the blonde wig would suit you," Jade swings her bat when I pick at the wig. "We look hot, definitely keeping our reputation at the Playboy house."

"Agreed," I slip on my oval retro glasses.

The Playboy house is the nickname our house got because Jade and I were the youngest camp counsellors and apparently looked like Hefner's bunnies. I didn't mind since we got the house to ourselves because of it but she ate it up and wouldn't stop talking about it.

One hot girl was normal but two hot girls living together was the talk of the camp for a few weeks. I didn't get it because we wore our hair in ponytails, khaki shorts and golf tees for the entire program.

Sunscreen was our makeup and depression with a side of grief was my constant blanket, only my weekly calls with Vecker helped because she was just as miserable and it loved company.

We obviously had to PG the costumes because our bosses will be there but I admit, she is right, our reputation is cemented. I haven't worn makeup all summer because I'm still in my Jess-Ann rump but it does feel good to be sexy Jessica again.

She has been clawing to come out since the confrontation with my father but I am still not ready yet. So I'm letting her breath a little tonight.

"Mind taking a picture for my friend Vecker?" I give her my phone, "Pamela Anderson was her idea because of the boobs."