CHAPTER 46: Cherry lips, tell pretty Lies

JESSICA

As cheesy and sad as it sounds, I wake up to birds chirping and with warm sun rays hitting my exposed and pedicured feet.

Maybe it's the anesthesia or the removed pressure from my shoulders but I slept like a baby for the first time in weeks.

"Hey, are you ready for lunch?" A nurse that held my hand before I passed out in theater smiles.

"Yes, can I also get my phone?" I press the remote to elevate my bed up.

Since it was such a low risk procedure, I only have to stay a few hours before I can go home which means no overnight stay that risks anyone ever finding out about this.

After talking to Isaac and his boyfriend that fateful morning before Christmas. I realized I had to let it go. All of it so I am starting the new year on the clean slate the universe awarded me.

No baby.

No boss drama.

No more self-pity.

I am taking this holiday time alone to mourn every bad thing that has happened this year. From being homeless to this surgery to everything in between.

I want to move through it so I can get past it.

"Baby steps," I remember Isaac's advice.

Bob Marley and Lauryn Hill trickle into my ears through my headsets as the nurse puts a tray of food with a pudding cup on my bed table.

"Blake?" I find the bubbly aussie waiting for me by the reception area as I sign my release forms. "What are you doing here? It's the day after Christmas."

"Finally! I thought you were supposed to be done before dinner, it's almost 8pm now." She drops her magazine to stand up, "hi Jessica."

"Hi," I am confused by her hug but I return it. "What? How are you here?"

In Oakwood, I know Boston is close but it's the day after Christmas. Airports and roads must be flooded with traffic.

"The hospital called the health care company, who called Dr Henry and because Odessa wasn't answering, he sent me. She eventually got back to us and when he found out no one was picking you up from surgery, he asked me to do it."

"On the day after Christmas?" I put my prescription in my wallet and take her lead to the exit.

I know I should be focused on Dr Henry finding out about this but I am still woozy and I am still coming down from the anesthesia.

"I don't celebrate Christmas and he is paying overtime so it's no big deal" she pauses by the exit to look at me. "How did it go? Is everything okay? No one would tell us what surgery you were having."

That's good.

"Just women stuff and it went well thank you," I am glad Dr Henry doesn't know why I went under the knife.

I can handle everything but the pity.

"As long as you're okay," she doesn't seem to believe me. "Come on, I'll treat you to dinner."

Blake doesn't discuss my surgery or Dr Henry as we devour food truck tacos. To my surprise, she keeps the conversation light and drops me off with more food I know what to do with.

Maybe it's the contentedness I feel from dinner or Odessa's wholesome call but whatever it is, it leaves me happy but tired so I pass out on the living room sofa while watching a Christmas movie.

All in all, I am okay when I close my eyes. 

ALEKSANDER

I arrive just before 11o'clock to find the house deserted but it's nothing compared to darkness that consumes me when it finally sinks in that Holly is really gone.