CHAPTER 13: The reincarnation of Jessica

JESSICA

"Not too much, okay? My skin will go into acne shock if I suddenly start wearing makeup after months of nothing."

I did the minimal grooming routine over the months but nothing too excessive. Vecker is sticking false lashes to my eyes since I don't have her or Dr Henry's ridiculous long and dark field.

"Relax. You are the shoe expert and I've been doing your makeup since year 1." She blows on my face. "There, all done."

She pats blush on my cheeks with upwards strokes and adds gold to my inner corners. After she spins me towards the mirror and immediate tears rush to the corner of my eyes.

"Oh my God," a smile I haven't had in almost a year appears on my face. "I look like me." I blink and the girl in the mirror blinks too.

It really is me.

The real me, not pudgy Jess-Ann or Reckless-Jessica. It is the me, that is learning to slow down and love herself again. Coincidentally, it also happens to be the hot as fuck version of me because being depressed did me well too.

"See, more beautiful when confident." Vecker moves a perfect curl off my face.

I added highlights and lowlights to my auburn locks, so now it's this honeycomb color closer to blonde that compliments my golden beige skin.

"Don't you think this is too much for a 13year old's birthday party?" I'm getting ready at her apartment like I am going to prom or something.

We did a light and natural makeup look but I bought a new dress to match the black Yves Saint Laurent patent leather OPYUM heels she bribed me with. I even spent the day breaking them in.

"This is more than just a dinner Jess, it's your comeback." She sprays setting pray over my face. "And you look absolutely perfect for it."

"I do?" I bite my glossed lip.

"You do," she smiles proudly in that Vecker way that gives me comfort. "Now as your self-appointed fairy godmother, I need to make sure you are not late. Add your touch ups, I'll be waiting downstairs."

She kisses my cheek and lets me have my moment after taking a few pictures.

"I got this." I spray perfume on my neck, wrist and collarbone.

It's Carolina Herrera 's good girl because I am the one with the power.

ALEKSANDER

"Uncle Zander!" Kylie runs to me the moment the hostess lets me through.

She wraps her gloved hands around me in the warmest hug and squeezes. I am becoming a fan of the hugging. I still hate being touched but being held is completely different, especially by someone like Kylie.

"You made it," she is bouncing with literal glee.

"Of course, little bug. I told you I flew back just for your day." I move back to look at her. "And don't you look amazing, it was worth the flight" I smile with my own version of glee.

"Thank you," we both look down on her glittery white, flapper style short dress.

She also has white feathers sticking out from her short and styled hair, in addition she is even wearing pearl drop earrings. I have never seen her with makeup but it really suits her.

"You look very handsome too," she nods in approval. "Thank you for sticking to the theme, you look very dapper ol' sport."

"Ah, The Great Gatsby," what a theme indeed.