CHAPTER 8: Great Expectations

ALEKSANDER

"Stop working, I brought you lunch." Sidney walks in holding take away packages.

"It's almost 3pm." I still log off my computer and join her by the couch where she is setting up.

"And still, I know you haven't eaten yet." She unwraps the boxes to reveal chicken chipotle bowls and two forks with napkins.

"Thank you Sid," the food is still warm. "Do you want anything to drink?" I walk to my mini fridge and grab two water bottles.

"Water is fine," she stretches out her hand. "You look nice, very different today."

I do feel different but I say, "thanks" and I asses her appearance.

Grey slacks with loafers and a cream scrub shirt with her name printed on the side, her dark curls held back in a messy French bun.

"You look nice too," I offer a smile and it pleases her.

"Thanks but we're still talking about Jessica." She waits for me to finish chewing before saying, "tell me about her."

"There is nothing to tell, she is my house sitter and is watching my dog while I am in Boston for a few months."

For some reason it doesn't sound anything close to the truth, despite it being very true.

"No," she finishes chewing to say. "There's more, I need to know more."

"Like?" I take a fork full to avoid talking and it tastes amazing.

For some reason, I make a mental note to recommend it to Jessica since she mentioned she liked avocados and salsa.

"Like you touched and held her without hesitation. I have never seen you do that before, especially with a woman." She points out and I roll my eyes.

"Sid—" I warn.

"Alek, you have never asked me for help in your entire life and the first call you make is because of your gorgeous British house sitter who smells like a den full of orchards."

I stuff my mouth to stop myself from correcting her because Jessica smells like a rich vanilla, citrus and baby powder probably because of Holly's dog shampoo.

"It took you years before you allowed me to touch you, let alone give you a hug and her..." she exhales when I grimace. "How old is she? She's very mature for a college student."

"I think she is around 21" and she's not.

"Is she British?" Sidney adds hot sauce and mixes her food.

"I think she is from Manchester, born and raised." I chew.

"She is tall." I nod, "and very beautiful. I have never seen anyone look that pretty after crying."

My eyes thin, not because I disagree but because of suspicion. Jessica is undoubtedly very eye-catching but I sense a trap in Sidney's sentence.

"Come on Alek, you spent most of college listening to my rants about boys. Let's talk about girls, specifically Jessica."

She begs the way she used to when she wanted to drag me around during our younger days. I owe most of my youthful experiences to her and Ashton's impulsive shenanigans but this one is not one of them.

"Sid, I was engaged and not once did you ask me a thing about April. Why do you care about someone who is watching my house and dog?"

She watches me intently, just like Ashton did when we discussed Jessica the first time. It's like they don't want to miss something on face or in my voice.