CHAPTER 40: Is blood still thicker than water?

JESSICA

"Hello?" I connect my phone to my ear as Kudo refills my drink.

We're all having tequila, finally!

"Jessica!" The voice glitches. "Where are you?"

"Who's this?" I look at the screen and it's an unsaved number so I stand up to find better cell reception.

"It's Josephine, you know Henry!" She sounds out of breath. "Now where are you?"

"Four Seasons," I look at Odessa laughing at Ivan and Kudo dancing to Money Heist's version of Bella Ciao.

It's almost 1am now and Dr Henry hasn't bothered to call but I am glad we all managed to cheer Vecker up. Of course, we had to booze her up first but it worked because she's laughing.

"Do you know where Alek is?" I nod like she can see me. "Jessica!" Josephine yells louder, "are you close to Alek or Ashton?"

"Yes," it's less than a 15 minute drive and almost a 27 minute walk.

"Then go, now!" Josephine's voice trembles. "I mean it Jessica, go to Alek and Ashton now!"

Soberness attacks me in train speed.

"Okay—okay," I signal Vecker and she hurries over while I grab my shoes.

"What?" She whispers as Kudo and Ivan stop to listen too.

"SOS at Dr Henry's." I rush to the door and they follow with my stuff.

"Listen to me honey," Enzo takes the phone. "We're on our way there but we're only a few hours away. Just make sure to separate them okay?"

Separate?

"What?" I watch the arrow go lower and lower.

"There is so much that doesn't make sense but I promise, everything will just make sure to separate them."

"Sir, your flight is ready to board" a voice says in the background.

"Please Jessica, we—" the dial clicks and we rush down the lobby.

Clearly, Blake and Kudo need to meet because he is an even worser driver than her but at least manages to gets us to the apartment complex in half the time.

I am about to open the door when we all reach his floor but a loud thuds stops me, it's a good thing his apartment is semi soundproof or else the police would have beat us here.

"Alek?" I push the door but it doesn't give away.

"Let me," Ivan kicks once and the lock gives away immediately.

"YOU HAVE EVERYTHING!"

Alek and Ashton are both bruised and jumbled as they tussle on the floor, breaking everything in their path.

"Oh my God," Odessa gasps or is it me?

"OH Boo hoo!" Alek punches his jaw and blood shoots out. "SAYS THE MAN WITH THE PERFECT LIFE!"

I pause by the door because I realize they don't see us as they separate to get weapons, even falling down as they each get their hands on something.

How long has this been going on?

"Perfect?" Ashton picks up a book and spits blood on to the floor. "Let us look back shall we?"

"Here we go again," Alek ridicules harshly as he picks up a tissue holder.

"Remember Sidney, huh!" Dr McKenna? "What about Lorelai!" Lori? "Hell, even fucking JESSICA!"

Me? I feel Vecker and the boy's eyes on me but mine stay on him because what do I have to do with this?