CHAPTER 31: The thin line between lies and surprises

ALEKSANDER

"I knew it!" Blake walks into my office 2 hours later holding her iPad, "I knew she was hot. I can always tell from people's voice."

What an unique talent but my guess is, she saw my lock screen and put two and two together.

"What did you find?" I close the spreadsheet I was filling out manually.

I still need to adjust some numbers but I am getting the results I expected which means the turbulence I was experiencing is finally clearing up.

"Everything. I even know where she was born but first tell me." She puts the iPad on my desk and a picture of Jessica in a red bikini fills the screen. "Does she really look like that?"

She zooms in on her face.

"Where did you get this?" I zoom out and swipe to where another picture of Jessica in a tan bikini is posing, her hair is a fiery red color and she looks completely different.

More dangerous actually.

"Instagram. Which is why I need to know if its face tune or if she really looks that freaking—" I cut her a look. "Beautiful," good save.

"Well," I swipe again and the next picture is headshot of her in a white vest and minimal makeup. "The photos are accurate."

I swipe and the information I am looking for appears. Her real name is Jess-Ann Beerbottom but she had it legally changed to Jessica Beer on her 18th birthday.

That's new information.

"Her mother died?" I am looking at the death certificate.

That's also new.

"Yes, when Jessica was really young too but her and the father were not together so he remarried a year after her death."

Ouch.

"A doctor, married a doctor." Now it makes sense why Dr Beerbottom wanted his only daughter to be one.

"Yes and they're pretty well off. Why does she need a job watching your house again? Is this like foreplay?" Blake is smiling till I cut her another look. "What, even you have to admit the girl is drop dead gorgeous."

She really is and she looks better in person.

As I swipe through more photos, I realize I never really stood a chance, Jessica was always going to bring me down from my self-righteous pedestal. I was just lucky to have gotten away with only a scratch the first time we met.

Well, I wouldn't consider my heart threatening to stop because of her a scratch but I still made it out.

"Do you know how her mother died?" I swipe to read the profile about her father and he looks nothing like the deadbeat asshole that abandoned his only daughter.

He almost looks normal. He even has hazel eyes identical to the shade that interrupts Jessica's amber ones. I really miss seeing the color fight each other in her siren gaze.

"No, the file on her death is classified."

"What do you mean classified? Ask your guy," Grover has connections in the FBI and I need to know more.

This file is making it clear that we skipped a lot of conversations on the getting to know each other stage, it's like I don't even know who she is.

"I did ask him, how do you think I found out she had a breast augmentation and rhinoplasty surgery?" Blake snorts in mock.

Jessica's breasts aren't real? And she had nose job done too?

"I wonder what she did to lose the weight though. She's like half her size, was it a crash diet?" Blake taps her chin, lost in thought. "It can't be liposuction. Jerry would have sniffed it out."