CHAPTER 17: Things change, ice melts?

JESSICA

His hands are trembling under the table.

I want to listen to Lori talk about whatever we are discussing(shoes) but I dropped a glove and when I bent down to pick it up, I saw Dr Henry's hands.

His large and unsteady hands.

Did I do that?

Did I let his mother go too far?

"Excuse me a second ladies," I take the opportunity when I see Enzo come back to the table.

I don't have a plan as my feet move towards the bar and I am aware of the attention I am attracting by doing this but I have never seen Dr Henry literally shaken. I need to know if he is alright.

"Can I get two of those blue shots, my boss drank mine." I tell the bartender and he nods with a knowing smile.

"Add it to the table tab," Dr Henry enhances and the man nods.

He won't even look at me so I sneak a glance at his hands and they are no longer trembling.

Good.

"Thank you Dr Henry," I leave a stool between us when I sit down to catch my breath.

I am exhausted.

Last year, I avoided the Henry family events (which are many) for obvious reasons but being cut off has really brought us closer and I hate how attached I am becoming. Pining for a man that can't stand me makes things a little more difficult too.

I just wish he'd—the bartender puts two shots in front of me.

"Thanks," I shoot one back too fast and almost choke.

"Are you okay?" A soft hand pats my bare back gently, "get her some water man!" Dr Henry commands as I cough.

"I'm fine." I clear my throat and take the glass of water. "It just went down the wrong pipe," I explain and shake his hand off my body as I gulp down the H2o.

It being there is somehow making things worse.

The irony is, this embarrassing moment is just in time for day 5 of my back to back streak of making a fool out of myself in front Dr Henry.

I seriously can't catch a break with this man.

"Maybe you should slow down," his hand flinches again when I put down the quarter full glass.

I knew drinking water before coming here to clear my head was bad idea, now I have to endure Dr Grumpy sober.

"Oh Dr Henry," I bite but hide it with a charming smile. "I think you must have forgotten I am guest here tonight, not just your employee or beneficiary."

I finish the martini that I have been nursing since I arrived to prove my point.

"So?" He occupies the stool next to mine and frowns at his glass.

"So you can't tell me what to do." I leave the charm out of my smile this time. "Not tonight at least," I don't care if everyone here is his family or friends.

I am here for Kylie, not him.

"Careful," his hand beats mine to the second shot. "You might be a guest here tonight but you're still going home with me." He throws it back and wipes the corner of his mouth when a tiny drop lurks.

I want to strangle that drop because once my eyes set on his lips that are framed by facial hair, dark thoughts invade my mind and it's hard to look away. Especially because I have never really paid attention to the pinkish tint on his lips that look soft and—no!