CHAPTER 2: CLUELESS

ALEKSANDER

"What?" Ashton hasn't stopped laughing since I brought it up. "You think I am having an affair with my 21year old babysitter?"

So Jessica is 21? The driver gives us a glance through the rearview mirror and smirks.

"You looked very comfortable around each other." I point out and he snorts a, "because she is our babysitter Alek, jeez. We have known her since her freshmen year."

"Oh," then why hasn't my heartrate gone back to normal?

"Besides, I wanted you to meet her because—"

"You wanted to set us up?" I knew it.

"No, I know she is not your type." He shakes his head and adds "I wanted you to meet her because Lori and I think she would be perfect to house sit for you, while you are in Boston."

"Oh." I am still stuck on the part where she is not my type.

What is that supposed to mean? He has only met one of the few women I have been with, how does he know my type?

"We once left her alone for a weekend to look after our place and she did a good job." Ashton is tapping on his phone, "she mentioned she needed the extra money so think about it, okay?"

My brother airdrops her number and a file full of information I can get through one web search.

"Is she really British or Irish?" I remember she had an accent, a very thick and posh one.

"British, she grew up in Manchester." Ashton looks at me intently, "any more questions about her?"

I have many, dozens but it's not worth the risk of a heart attack or stammer relapse.

"No, I trust you." I raise my chin proudly, "but I still don't think I need a house sitter."

I will be flying between Massachusetts and Boston most of the time and I won't be gone for that long.

"No, Holly needs a house sitter because if you leave her at my house for 9 to 12months my kids won't give her back," he raises a fair point.

The apartment the school got me sadly doesn't allow pets and a change of environment won't do her any good because she has a boyfriend in the neighborhood and has grown attached to him.

"Fine," we have been arguing about this for weeks. "If you trust her then you will be responsible for the process of hiring her."

I have enough on my plate as it is.

"Wait what?" Ashton is laughs without humor, "you Dr Aleksander Henry, don't have questions about someone's who is going to be in your personal space for months while you are out of town?"

"No." I am more concerned about my alarming heartbeat.

I need to remember to see my doctor before leaving, I feel like I was electrocuted.

"What have you done with my baby brother?" He checks my forehead and sniffs me, "did you drink too much? You know alcohol doesn't agree with you."

I remove his hand from my neck and click my tongue because he knows that is not true. Getting drunk with art and theatre camp counsellors is not my idea of a fun night, which is why agreed to stay 2 hours.

"Are you done?" I touch my chest to check if my heart hasn't jumped out.

Scientifically, I know it's not possible but I still check because I am experiencing an abnormality here.

"No. I am really concerned about you Zander," a smirk plays at his lips. "You had a beautiful woman in a Pamela Anderson costume and you didn't even acknowledge her. Are you gay?"