listening in

"I get to ask you something now." Mattheo said with a smirk, lighting a new cigarette. Alessia quirked a brow, intrigued. This wasn't how she saw this going.

"Go on" she said, fully interested by the prospect of him asking her something personal.

"Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?"

Alessia froze, her stomach swimming with butterflies, blush creeping up onto her cheeks. Mattheo laughed at her reaction, exhaling smoke from his cigarette into the air.

"I think that's the first time I've managed to shut you up, Nott" he said with a smirk, looking at her in admiration.

Alessia laughed alongside him, breaking her silent streak. She just needed time to process what the boy had asked, as she was not expecting that at all.

The girl weighed up her options, trying to decide quickly, as she was aware of the boy awaiting her response.

"And what if I said no?" Alessia replied, a smile on her face, signalling she was joking.

Mattheo raised his eyebrows, sitting up a bit straighter, surprised by her response. It amused him, how she taunted him, testing the waters for a reaction.

"We both know you've been waiting for me to ask ever since we found out about this dance" He spoke, a knowing smirk on his face.

It was almost like he read her mind.

"I would love to go to the Yule Ball with you" Alessia told him, a large smile on her face.

Mattheos eyes lit up, subtly, but enough for Alessia to notice that he was pleased with her response.

As someone who rarely made his emotions clear, it was relieving to be able to read him, knowing that the two were equally excited to share that evening together.

Alessia didn't even feel guilty for saying yes.

A part of her wanted to listen to Astoria, and trust what she was saying. Yet, knowing what the girl had done, for so long, made Alessia second guess herself.

"Don't tell my brother" Alessia said with a laugh, not even wanting to imagine Theo's reaction to the pairing.

"I wouldn't dream of it" Mattheo said, staring at Alessia with a small smile.

Being asked to the Yule ball almost distracted Alessia from the real reason she was there. To discover the truth.

Alessia opened her mouth to speak, and ask Mattheo a new question but she was interrupted when the sound of shouting echoed around the halls, from beneath the tower.

Mattheo and Alessia exchanged a confused look, standing up, walking over to the stairs of the astronomy tower, in order to see who was causing the commotion.

From their concealed position, it was hard to tell who they were listening to, but the conversation sounded serious, and the voices were raising as time progressed.

Mattheo grabbed Alessia's hand, pulling her down the stairs behind him, the two both being curious to see what was happening. They got into the corridor in no time, hiding behind a wall, listening in.

Alessia peaked her head around the corner, in attempts to decipher the voices, only to whip back round when she noticed who it was.

Dumbledore and Snape.

She looked up at Mattheo in worry, who just placed a single finger to his lips, signalling she should be quiet.

"What about the girl?" Snape's voice echoed, his usual sneer attached at the end of each syllable. Alessia listened in intrigue, her attention sparked at his words.

"She's progressing quicker than anticipated, and unlocking many memories. I warned her away, but she didn't listen" Dumbledore replied.

Alessia couldn't see the pair, but she could hear the frustration in Dumbledores voice, an anger that didn't settle right within her. He triggered her Seer abilities in the worst possible way, making her feel nervous around him.

"I don't know how much she has learnt. Might I ask that she receive some guidance from myself, perhaps to ease her away from the wrong path" Snape suggested, with a meticulous and scheming tone.

Mattheo stared down at Alessia with furrowed eyebrows, confusion covering his face.

"Don't let your own protective nature for the girl lead you away from the wrong path Severus. Think about what's right for the Wizarding world, not for you."

Dumbledore sighed after his words, and Alessia could only imagine how many questions were circulating through his mind.

"She's always been defiant, it will be difficult, trying to control the power until the time is right" Dumbledore explained further.

"Defiant is one way of wording it. She has also always been incredibly nosy. Isn't that right Miss Nott?" Snape said, turning his head to face the wall that the pair was hiding behind.

Alessia's heart dropped into her stomach, it racing at a heightened speed, anxious that she had been discovered.

There was no point of trying to hide now.

The girl walked into the men's sight, Dumbledore looking at her with a disappointed look over his crescent moon shaped glasses.

She smiled awkwardly, fiddling with her jumper sleeve, trying to avoid the glaring gaze of Snape.

"I suppose Riddle isn't far behind" Snape sneered, a disgusted expression plaguing his face.

Alessia looked over her shoulder, her eyebrows furrowing when she noticed the hallway that she was previously hiding in was empty.

No sign of Mattheo anywhere.

"I'm not sure what you mean" She replied, crossing her arms over her chest with a small smile on her face. Mattheo never failed to keep her on her toes.

Dumbledore sighed under his breath, making his annoyance apparent, which did admittedly aggravate Alessia.

"I think it would be wise for you to spend the remainder of this period, that you are avoiding, with Professor Snape" Dumbledore suggested, making note of the fact Alessia was skipping most of her lessons.

Alessia looked over at Snape, who was staring at her, with a questioning look, trying to work the girl out, almost confused.

"Anything to avoid transfiguration" Alessia spoke, a particularly amused look on her face.

Appearing amused was the only way of concealing her nerves.

The multitude of times that Snape had appeared in her memories scared Alessia, and made her wonder how many more there would be.

Snape stepped to the side, outstretching his hand, pointing down the hallway, gesturing that she follow.

Alessia walked down the hallway, showing herself to the Potions classroom, leaving Dumbledore and Snape behind her.

"Don't walk like death is calling your name Miss Nott, you look like your father" Snape said with a sigh, slurring his words, following the girl from behind.

Alessia looked down the corridor that was on her right, as she made her way to the potions classroom, smiling when she noticed Mattheo, leaning against the wall, out of sight.

He shot her a subtle wink, before walking in the opposite direction, so that Snape wouldn't notice him.

In no time, Alessia arrived at the Potions classroom, and the mere thought of being alone with Snape in that room sent nerves down her spine.

One thing was for sure, she had a lot of questions for him, and it wouldn't be easy.

A/N- it's the way I planned to write so many chapters this weekend but instead had a raging hangover x

Sorry this took so long to upload

Pls vote! Just press the little star ⭐️

Ellie 💌
Word count- 1226