Chapter eighteen

"I'm sure you can understand why I have asked you three here" Dumbledore said, staring at the three students in disappointment.

He was, of course, referring to the argument that happened between the three, that resulted in the majority ending up in some sort of physical pain.

Mattheo sighed, leaning back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. Although he had healed his nose, there was still blood scattering his face, covering the top part of his shirt, making him look even more evil than he usually did.

"It was my fault" Theo said, taking the blow for his sister. "I was just defending Alessia"

Dumbledore nodded, looking at the unlikely trio over his moon shaped glasses.

"I hope you understand, Mr Nott, that physical violence is something that we do not accept here at Hogwarts. You can serve detention tonight" The headmaster explained, making Theo sigh.

Dumbledore dismissed Theo, leaving just Alessia and Mattheo under the watchful eye of the professor.

"Mr Riddle" he said "Dark magic like that is prohibited. You should be thankful I'm not sending you to pack your bags and leave the school" he explained.

Mattheo rolled his eyes, sending Alessia a smirk, satisfied he had the opportunity of sticking around.

"Detention for the next week" Dumbledore instructed, making Alessia scoff. How was he being let off so easily?

Mattheo smiled, standing up from his chair, before sending a wink at Alessia as he walked out the room. She rolled her eyes at his childish behaviour, still angered at how he escaped a reasonable punishment after performing such dark magic.

When the door closed behind Mattheo, Alessia opened her mouth to speak, and protest the fact she was just caught in the middle of the boys fight, but the headmaster held up his hand, silencing the girl.

"I am not angry at you Miss Nott. In fact, i just wanted to talk" he explained, confusing the girl. Dumbledore had never before shown an interest in the Alessia so the fact he wanted to talk wasn't exactly ordinary. Alessia nodded hesitantly, signalling him to continue.

"How are your powers evolving?" He asked catching the girl off guard. He laughed at her face of confusion. "Ah, Miss Nott, did you think I had no idea what goes on in my own school?" He explained with a smile.

Alessia didn't know whether to laugh at his statement or feel terrified. Perhaps it was a good thing that the headmaster knew. It would ensure some sort of security around the castle and growing to understand her potentially dangerous abilities.

"I'm still getting used to them" she said in all honesty.

That was the understatement of the year.

"It's hard to lean about something you have no memory of. It feels like I'm imposing on a power that doesn't belong to me because I don't remember living with it"

He nodded at Alessia's explanation, looking into the distance curiously, lost in thought.

"I ask that you don't strain yourself in attempting to regain your memories. It will be overwhelming to remember so much all at once" Dumbledore suggested, which made Alessia furrow her eyebrows in utter confusion. Surely that wasn't his decision to make?

Those memories were segments of Alessias life. Dumbledore suggesting to not attempt to try and retrieve them was ridiculous. Now that she finally knew what to do, she wasn't going to let her life slip away.

"Sure" she said with an insincere smile, knowing that she would definitely be getting those memories back, no matter what Dumbledore suggested.

She stood up from her seated position, deeming the conversation over.

"Oh and Alessia," the headmaster said, making the girl pause in her tracks, "the mind is a complex concept. I hope you are careful with how you attempt to strengthen your powers. I would hate to see you get lost in an unescapable situation"

She nodded with a reassuring smile, before walking out the office. When she was sure the man was out of sight, she rolled her eyes.

Dumbledore emitted bad vibes.

He always seemed to be hiding something, and that fact practically radiated off of him, which Alessia picked up instantly.

The girl rounded the corner, pausing her steps when she caught sight of Mattheo leaning on the wall by Dumbledores office, waiting for her to come out of the room.

She walked up to him, with a sigh, knowing that if she ignored him, he would just put even more effort into speaking to her.

"What did he want?" Mattheo asked Alessia, very forwardly, and straight to the point. He stood up straight, using his height as a tactic to make Alessia feel nervous, like she had to answer him.

"Nothing" she said bluntly, making him roll his eyes. The girl wasn't about to tell the boy everything, he already knew too much about her life which was worrying enough.

"I'm surprised you didn't get expelled" the girl said, walking down the corridor, Mattheo trailing next to her, matching her pace.

"I have that effect on people" he said with a cocky smile, a glint in his eyes that wasn't always there before. The more playful side of the boy didn't seem threatening in the slightest, and Alessia wondered if he was born under different circumstances he might actually be a great friend.

"Keep telling yourself that" she retaliated, matching his smile. For a moment, she forgot that mere moments ago he was making her keel over in pain.

When they finally reached the slytherin common room, Alessia reached for the handle, quickly  stopped by Mattheo who grasped her wrist.

"I'm sorry about earlier" he said, now aware of the lack of space between the two. Alessia would have felt confused by his apology, if she wasn't so focused on how close they were.

His face was mere inches apart from hers, creating an uncomfortable and foreign tension in the air. He had such an inviting aura, that her seer abilities hadn't picked up on before. She wanted to be closer. As quickly as that feeling came, she snapped out of her trance, moving herself away from the boy.

"Don't do it again" she said, pulling herself away from the situation, taking in a deep breath once she was out of proximity of the boy.

She had never felt like that around him. And she definitely didn't like the effect he was beginning to have on her. Alessia was meant to hate him, he had done horrible things.

The girl found comfort behind the closed door of her bedroom, alone with her confusion and conflicted feelings.

Could she learn to eradicate the hatred she had for the boy?

A/N- can't lie guys im making it REALLY hard to make Mattheo seem redeemable, but that's totally my fault haha

Pls vote! It helps me out massively.

Can we get to 10k reads? X

Ellie 💌
Word count- 1155