broken ties

Alessia was grateful for the concern. It was relieving to know people cared about her.

That was until she saw who was stood in front of her.

Astoria.

Her old best friend had a guilty look on her face, staring at Alessia in worry, wondering how she would approach this unusual situation.

Alessia didn't even know how to react to the sight of Astoria. Their relationship had become incredibly conflicted, and it was hard to face someone she now barely knew.

Alessia turned away from Astoria, walking down the hallway, away from whatever her old friend wished to say, but Astoria caught up, catching the girls wrist, so she wouldn't run.

"Please let me explain, Lyssie" Astoria pleaded, looking into Alessia's glassy eyes.

Astoria genuinely looked sorrowful and ashamed by what she had done.

"How long. How long have you been one of them?" Alessia asked, with a perhaps, spiteful tone.

"Since the start of the year. My first task was helping Enzo drug you" She replied shyly, staring down at her shoes.

Alessia's jaw dropped in disbelief, feeling embarrassed that she had been taken for a fool, tricked for months by someone she called a best friend.

"I'm not here to ask for your forgiveness, Lyssie, I'm here to warn you" she told the girl, making Alessia stand up straighter, her composure stiffening in worry.

"It was Riddle" she began, making Alessia's heart speed up, in an anxious manner. "He forced me to join"

If words could shatter one's mood, and emotions, that's what would have happened to Alessia at that very moment.

Astoria looked terrified, grasping onto Alessia's arms like they were her only support, the intensity of her grip beginning to pain Alessia.

"What do you mean, Astoria?" Alessia asked frantically, now becoming equally scared.

"He's worse than people say, much, much, worse. I tried to escape but he's impossible"

The tension in the air was sickening, causing Alessia's throat to close up, her stomach churning in fear.

"You have to help me Lyssie, please" Astoria sobbed, tears now streaming down her face at an immense rate. Alessia's heart was racing at unnatural speeds, feeling conflicted and worried for her friend.

"What did he do? You need to tell me everything" Alessia told her friend, worry evident on her features.

Astoria looked over her friend's shoulder, her face paling at her view. Her face completely dropped, as if the life had been sucked out of her, leaving a reminiscence of what was once there.

Alessia turned around, curious at what had startled the girl. When she caught sight of the situation, she stood up straighter, feeling threatened.

"I think Astoria may be feeling a little confused. Perhaps she should get some rest." spoke the taunting voice of Mattheo, who was staring at the pair with a rigid face.

The two didn't even hear him approach, which made everything even more worrying.

Alessia inhaled a sharp breath, not sure how to feel after what she had been told by her old best friend.

"I'm fine" Astoria said with a sniff, wiping away the tears that were plaguing her cheeks.

"I don't remember asking Greengrass, I need a word with Nott, so you can go." He retaliated, crossing his arms over his chest.

Alessia furrowed her eyebrows at his behaviour. She was almost certain he promised to leave that demeanour behind.

Astoria took one more glance at Alessia, before walking off down the halls, keeping clear of Mattheo who was watching her every move.

"Care to explain?" Alessia questioned, looking at the boy stood before her, his jaw clenched.

"Greengrass and I never did get along" he replied with a laugh, brushing off the situation like it was friendly banter.

Alessia just couldn't shake the awful feeling inside of her. Astoria looked terrified and the fact it took her this long to say something, probably meant she had to build up a lot of courage.

Alessia walked over to Mattheo, trying to keep a placid expression.

She took hold of his wrist, and before he had any chance to retaliate, Alesssia summoned a vision, utilising her Seer abilities, which were quickly strengthening.

He fought back instantly.

Alessia could feel his dark, corrupted magic flowing through her, pushing her away, its dangerous nature having effects on her own abilities.

It was too much for Alessia, she had never fought such strength. She pulled herself away from her attempts to summon a vision, gasping as her body collapsed beneath itself.

Mattheo helped her up, using his strength to support her weakened frame.

"Don't do that, Nott. You might loose yourself in my memories" He said with a whisper.

Alessia pushed herself out of his grip, brushing her skirt, aiming to compose herself.

"What did you do to Astoria" she asked him, changing the subject. It kept playing in her mind. Astorias fear ridden face.

Something wasn't right, and Alessia couldn't neglect her morals for this boy.

"Being a death eater isn't easy, I've made that perfectly clear from my own experience. Astoria is fragile, she needs time to adjust" He explained, a reassuring expression directed at the girl.

Alessia rubbed the bridge of her nose in frustration, conflicted.

"I don't know what to believe anymore" she said with an exasperated breath, mainly speaking to herself.

Mattheo edged closer, closing the gap between them.

"You can trust me" he said, taking hold of her hand, softly cupping it, as a symbol of his care. As much as she wanted to push him away, her body yearned for the comfort his body radiated.

Alessia wasn't an idiot, she was flattered, and taken by his charm, but that didn't excuse how he spoke to her ex-friend. Astoria asked for help. That was more important.

"I'll trust you when you start being honest" she replied. Her tone wasn't harsh, or spiteful, just calm.

Mattheo was a complex character, and if she spoke to him in an incriminating way, it wouldn't work in her favour.

"I'm willing to be honest, if that's what I need to do to win your approval" he said, a ghost of a smile on his face.

Alessia nodded hesitantly. She desperately wanted him to be a good person. Desperately needed him to be the person she wanted him to be.

"You will be the death of me, Nott. Secrecy is a shield, it allows me to remain unreadable." He said, his smile only growing in amusement.

Alessia sighed, giving the boy a deadpan look.

"That's what worries me" she said.

Mattheo took Alessia's other hand, narrowing the small space between them.

"Ask me whatever you want, and I will be honest" he promised.

For some corrupted reason, Alessia nodded her head, squeezing his hand in approval.

Mattheo Riddle was either a person willing to change, or a master manipulator.

A/N- I genuinely hate this idk why. I desperately wanted them to remain happy but MATTHEO IS TOO DODGY.

Pls vote! Just press the little star ⭐️

Ellie 💌
Word count-1170