Chapter 14

September 7th, 1992

Michael and Luciana were in their hotel room in Lausanne, Switzerland. Since Michael had cancelled the last September show for Germany, they got an early head to Switzerland the day before. Luciana walked over to Michael and put her hands on his face. "Before we go to your rehearsal, are you sure you're okay? Please don't lie to me either."He grabbed both her hands and placed them on his lap. "Yes, I'm perfectly fine. I actually wanted to ask you a question." he said with a smile on his face.

"What question?"

"I know you're only here for a limited time, but before you head back to The U.S, I was just wondering if you wanted to contribute in part of the show."

"Oh..so Siedah suggested this to you, I'm guessing?"

"What are you talking about?"

"We were discussing this yesterday when she brought it up on the bus. I just thought it's kind of funny you'd ask me that question a day after."

"No, Siedah hadn't told me about it, but I happened to over hear your conversation with her, and I think it's a brilliant idea."

"Uh huh..you do?"

"Are you kidding? I've wished I'd thought of it by myself."

"Oh.."

"So, what do you say?"

"Your next performance is tomorrow!"

"And your point is? You're a fast and talented learner I'm sure. As long as you're listening and comprehending the ropes well enough you should be fine."

"I don't know, Michael. I don't want to mess you guys up."

"How would you do that? Come on, Luce, please. Your talent deserves to be seen outside of your acting career. Please, do it for me?"

She sighed and smiled. "If you want me to that bad, then I guess, yeah. I'll do it."

"Yes! That's what I like to hear." Michael said with a big smile on his face. Luciana laughed and became excited. She loved seeing him happy, and was glad he gave her such an extravagant oppurtunity. Once everyone had arrived at Stade Olympique de la Pontaise, they all headed backstage. Michael had put both his arms up signaling that he was about to make an announcement. "Attention, everyone. I'd like to introduce you to someone who will be accompaning us in tomorrow's performance. She's standing right next to me, Luciana Santiago." Everyone started clapping for her, and some even rushed up to hug her. She felt happier than ever and she was glad she chose what she did.

Luciana had already known most of the lyrics to the songs they'd sing during the performance. She went over them making sure she'd nailed it so she'd sound professional. She was going to sing backup alongside Kevin Dorsey, Dorian Holley, Siedah Garret, and Darryl Phinnessee. They took a break in between the rehearsal. As Luciana was passing by everyone they were giving her uplifting words and she was loving it all. Michael had called her to come in to his dressing room. She closed the door behind her. "Am I in trouble?" she asked with a giggle.

Michael laughed,"No, you're fantastic! You're going to do great tomorrow. I just wanted to ask you one last question."

She smiled," Awe, thanks! But before I get too excited, what's the question?"

"Not saying you have to, but it's just an offer. You've seen how the routine is for Will You Be There, right? Well, I know you have but what do you think about it?"

"It's so beautiful, I love it. Why are you asking?"

"Are you afraid of heights?"

"No, not really."