Chapter 43

Pablo closed his car door and sat next to Michael. "Whew, Luciana can be a trip," he said.

Michael was beginning to feel uncomfortable, but he chuckled.

"Man, just to let you know, I'm just messing with 'ya. I just want to get to know you better. You're the love of my daughter's life."

"Did she say that?" Michael smiled.

"Ahh, man. Don't tell her I told you this but she talks about you all the time. She doesn't shut up about you."

Michael smiled to himself. "You don't have to tell me what she said. It is refreshing to know though."

Pablo revved up his engine and pulled off.

"Why does it come off as a surprise to you?" Pablo asked.

"Me and her had been distant for so long. It's amazing to know she still feels that way."

"Do you?"

"Of course."

"You gonna marry her, right?"

"Excuse me?"

"Nah, man. I'm just joking with 'ya," He laughed. "But on a serious note, you think you will just one day?"

"Time will tell, but I definitely want her in my life for the rest of my life. I just have to wait for the right moment."

"You got my blessings, man. You make her really happy."

"Thank you Mr. Santiago."

"Aye, call me Pablo!"

Michael nodded. "How did you propose to your wife?"

"Man, that was so long ago. One thing I regret about our marriage is that it was forced on us because she was pregnant. I want us to get our vows renewed, but I'm not going to tell her about it."

"That sounds amazing. I'm sure she'd love that."

"I hope so. What happened between you and Luce is like what happened between us. We lacked communication skills. We wanted to end whatever we had, because it started to feel like it wasn't love anymore. We knew we couldn't, because our children were our responsibility. It's easy to lose trust when you lack communication. But don't ever let that think it's the end, because it's nearly the beginning."

"I've learned that for the better," Michael admitted. "I'm not letting anything come between us. That screwed us up big time. I blame myself for letting her get away."

"You both were in the wrong. She shouldn't have given up that quick, ad you shouldn't have let her go. But at the end of the day, once you've forgiven yourselves and each other for your mistakes, your relationship will work its way back together. That's why after all these years, here you are. Even after a marriage, man. If that ain't God I don't know what it is."

Michael shook his head and sighed. He glanced out of the window. "It is. Luciana's the best thing that ever happened to me. I hope you realize that Pablo. I'm in love with your daughter."

Pablo smiled. "I know, man. She's helped us see this other side of you. I hear sincerity in her voice when she talks about you. To see her like this is rare."

"I thought the same thing. She's so much happier now. She laughs more, she smiles more.."

"That's you, man."

"How can you tell?"

"Trust me, man. I know my daughter."

Michael chuckled. "There's something different though."