Chapter 31

January 25, 1996

Luciana and her friend Clara had met each other at Luciana's former work place, Besty's for lunch.  Luciana's former co-workers had the restaurant closed so she could enjoy a peaceful lunch without any hassle.

"Okay," Clara said flipping her blondish-brown streaked hair over her shoulder. "On a scale of one to ten, how upset would you be if I told you I'd invited someone else to come and join us for lunch?"

"It depends on who it is. Clara, you better not be setting me up on some kind of double date."

"No, it's nothing like that. Trust me."

"Could you at least give me a hint?"

"Nope, I know you. You'll make up an excuse to try and get out of it."

Luciana rolled her eyes and sipped her lemonade. "Okay, fine."

"So, have you talked to Michael after him and Lisa's, you know?"

"No. Should I have?"

"Um, yeah. You know you were kind of glad it happened. You're still in love with him."

"Clara!"

"Don't act like you've gotten over him. I can see it in your eyes when you talk about him that your feelings haven't changed a bit. Try and comfort him. Maybe you can get some of that off of your chest."

"I wish it was that easy Clara. Besides, I'm probably the last person he wants to talk to."

"Why do you think that?"

"Seriously? I mean it happened not too long ago. You think he wants to talk to the woman who left him hanging with nothing but a letter and a freaking engagement ring?"

"Dude, you guys have talked since then."

"We hadn't discussed our relationship though. He felt sorry for me, so of course he wasn't going to show his anger towards me then."

"He doesn't like what you did, but he doesn't hate you. If he hated you, he wouldn't have cared if you were hurt or not. Talk to him. Show him you care just as much as he does."

Luciana sighed and looked down at her hands. She looked up to see Vanessa closing her car door through the window.

"Seriously Clara?"

"Chill. You'll be fine."

Luciana's former co-worker Yaneliz heard the knocking and walked over to the door. "Are you Vanessa?"

"Yes," Vanessa nodded.

"Come on in, sweetheart."

Vanessa flashed a bright smile in Clara and Luciana's direction. "Hey guys."

Clara smiled back at her. "Hey, V! Have a seat girly."

"Thanks," Vanessa turned in Luciana's direction and gave her a small nod.

"Hi, Vanessa." Luciana smirked.

Luciana sat up in her chair, feeling awkward tension between she and Vanessa. Clara broke the short silence between the two and clapped her hands together.

"Vanessa, I love your hair color. You decided to go full blonde, huh?"

"I wanted to try something different. A lot of African-Americans don't usually go this bright. So I said hey, why not try something new to show this hair off a little?"

"I like it," Luciana added. "I saw you on a magazine front. You've got really pretty hair. It works for you."

"Thanks, Luciana."