Chapter 29

Luciana

I arrived at Neverland at about 3:15 in the afternoon. I was shaking on the inside. I wasn't ready to see Michael again, neither was I ready to meet his wife. I walked up to the door slowly, shaking on the inside and out. I knocked hard twice. And there he was. Well, this is awkward.

He immediately embraced me in a welcoming hug. My wound started aching a tad, but honestly, I didn't care. I suddenly grew warm on the inside. I always got butterflies around him.

"Hey," he said. "Come in."

"Thank you."

I followed him down to his studio. I felt the need to ask about Lisa, but I decided I'd hold my tongue until I found out why I was really there. I sat down next to him in the studio as we turned to face each other. I hadn't put any makeup on, and I could feel him staring at the scar on my lip. I sighed and looked to my feet as Michael finally broke the silence.

"I should've spoken to you about this sooner, and I regret not doing so. I'm so sorry about what happened to you. It broke my heart when I heard about you on the news. I was preparing to get married.."

My mind started going elsewhere as he was talking. Regardless, he calls me a year later? He could've had his 'I told you so' moment, but I'm glad he didn't go there. "Why are you telling me this just now? I mean, I know you're a busy man, but a simple phone call would've been nice." I tried not to come off as selfish, but I was speaking the truth.

"I found your number two days ago. As much as I wanted to, I had no way to contact you."

After he said that, I felt pretty bad. I wished he'd told me that first. "Oh. Well, thank you for calling me down here, I appreciate it."

"Of course. I'm really sorry you had to experience  that. Can I ask you a question, though?"

"Sure."

"Why did he start hitting you again in the first place?"

He looked worried. He still cares, I thought. But he is a married man now. His feelings for me most likely have changed. I sighed and looked him in the eyes. "I-I don't know. It's just like if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll hit anyone or anything within arm's reach. The night I'd came to get my book- Denise's book back from his home, he came at me unnecessarily. I decided I'd finally stand my ground. I fought back.

Did I think he'd shoot me? I knew he was capable of it, but I didn't think he'd actually do it. I'd seen his gun before we fought, and I wish I would have hid it. I didn't think he'd actually commit suicide. He didn't want to shoot me. I didn't think he'd realized how much danger he was putting me in until after he pulled the trigger. I could tell he wasn't thinking. After he pulled the trigger, I could just see it in his face he was just thinking. 'I've gone too far'. I guess after that, he didn't think he could live with himself. He just needed help..."

Michael

I sat there in front of Luciana, overwhelmed. I couldn't imagine how she felt after being abused, shot, and to watch the victim end their life right in front of her eyes.

Something I'd always loved about Luciana is that she'd always managed to see the good in people regardless of what they've done. I grew pretty speechless after what she'd told me. She could tell I was in shock. She rested her hand on mine and smiled.

"Hey, but look at me now. I'm almost fully recovered and  I'm blessed to be alive. Thanks again for calling. Oh! And congratulations on your marriage."

I gave her a warm hug and smiled. "Thank you."

"So, where is the lucky lady?"

"She's not here at the moment."