Chapter 22: Broken, Part I

Last time, Serena has a flashback to when she and Calem were ten. When Tierno, another student says that he likes her, Calem becomes violent to both Tierno and Serena when she tries to interfere. The group realizes either Ash or Serena will be in danger when Calem finds out about their relationship.

The group walks into their first class, and they immediately look over to Calem. He seems fine, and smiles and waves as they walk in.

SERENA: I still can't believe it...

ASH: *Mutters* Me neither... There's no avoiding the inevitable. He will find out, sooner or later.

Everyone takes their seats and the teacher introduces Shauna to the class. Serena watches Calem carefully, and notices at her name, he looks surprised for a second. Then, he returns normal as if nothing happened.

TEACHER: Today, we will be going outside for a small scavenger hunt in the woods. Teams will consist of three people each. Please pick your group members and meet me outside.

Ash immediately grabs Serena's shoulder, and Shauna tries to, but Calem steps in.

CALEM: Sorry, we're full. *Fakes a smile*

Shauna exchanges a look with Serena. Her eyes speak for her. Be careful. Serena nods, as if to say "We will."

SERENA: *Trying to act as casually as possible* Alright, let's go then, guys.

Calem glances suspiciously at Ash, then Serena. He then spots the new citrine necklace, and his face clears of any emotion as he tries to look indifferent. But Serena knows what's inside him, and she has to stay alert.

CALEM: Say, are you two, um, dating?

Warnings flash through Ash and Serena's minds, and they choose their words carefully.

SERENA: We are.

ASH: But just started yesterday.

CALEM: *Fakes a smile* Great! I'm happy for you.

Serena tenses, waiting for the worst, but nothing happens.

TEACHER: *Hands out a list* Send out one of your Pokémon, they will help you. On your mark, get set, go! Find all of those items!

Ash, Serena, and Calem with Pikachu, Fennekin, and Meowstic dash into the woods, searching everywhere for the first item on the list. When they are mostly out of sight, though, Calem turns to Meowstic.

CALEM: *Angry* Meowstic, Psychic on him! *Points accusingly at Ash*

Ash is lifted up in the air, along with Pikachu and Fennekin. The three of them struggle against Meowstic's Psychic, to no avail. Calem turns to Serena.

SERENA: Put them down, Calem!

ASH: Serena, run!

But Calem already starts making his move. He reaches his hand into his back pocket and pulls out a pocket knife. Ash's eyes widen.

ASH: Don't touch her!

CALEM: Shut up, Ketchum! *Knees Ash in the stomach*

SERENA: *Horrified* ASH!

Calem looks at Serena again, and points to the necklace that symbolizes Ash and Serena's relationship.

CALEM: Did you get that from him?!

When Serena doesn't answer and continues to look at him with fear, Calem dashes to Serena and slices the edge of her arm. Then, he slides the knife across Serena's cheek, leaving a nasty cut. She screams and clutches her arm.

SERENA: S- stop it! Stay away!

ASH: Calem, you bastard!

Calem walks up to Serena and cuts the chain of her necklace, the blade barely missing her body. He stomps on the citrine gemstone. Serena starts crying, both from the pain and the broken necklace. Her strong emotions awaken Sylveon, still in her Poké ball, and automatically, the Fairy-type Pokémon releases itself from its capsule.

The loyal, shiny Pokémon jumps between Calem and Serena.

SYLVEON: Sylveon, Sylv Sylveon?! (What do you think you're doing to my Trainer?!)

To be continued...