Chapter 47: Let Go of Fear

Feels in this Chapter? Yes. Or rather, that's my intention. Dunno if you think so, too. Comment: I want to hear what you think!

Last time, Serena continues the fight, until J slyly burns Ash's leg, rendering him unable to move. When Salamence uses Hyper Beam...

It's okay, Ash. I'll protect you. I'll save you.

I love you.

Hyper Beam travels towards Serena. J smirks, waiting for Serena's cry of pain. Next to Ash, a drop of water lands on the ground.

A tear.

Serena smiles back at him, crying tears of happiness.

And now, time completely stops for Ash. It's as if he can hear Serena's thoughts for a split second.

If this is the way I'll go down, I'm content.

No, Serena...

Thank you for changing my life, Ash.

Stop it!

I wish I could've spent more time with you. This, I regret.

No...

None of this is your fault.

It's not yours, either!

You tried to convince me it wasn't mine. And you were right.

Please!

But what I'm doing right now... I'm not trying to fix things, anymore.

...

I can't believe how much we've been through.

Serena...

When I think of that, I have the courage to step up...

No!

And take the fatal blow.

And time resumes.

ASH: SERENA!!!

Serena closes her eyes, waiting for the blow that will decide her fate. But what she expects doesn't come.

Ash extends his arms and launches himself towards Serena, knocking her on her side. In this way, Ash is in Hyper Beam's path. Serena's eyes widen.

ASH: *Whispers* I- I won't let you...

And the move hits him directly. Ash is sent flying straight back, all the way to the other side and crashes into the wall.

Silence overcomes the room, as Serena dashes towards him. She kneels beside the fallen boy. Tears stream down her face. Then, Aura breaks the quiet.

AURA: *Yells* IGNORE OUR OPPONENTS! DESTROY THE DEBRIS!

Serena can't hear the yells and orders of her friends. All she can do is stare at Ash, who is smiling, faintly, up at her.

SERENA: You- you idiot...

Ash laughs weakly.

ASH: I know... But I... couldn't just *cough* let you go...

Tears now form in Ash's eyes.

SERENA: You didn't have to be the hero!

ASH: Same *cough* for you...

The debris behind them is finally destroyed, and everyone sprints towards them.

EVERYONE: ASH!

ASH: *Ignores them* Serena, *cough* right now, an enemy is in front of us. *Cough* Patiently waiting for us. Isn't- isn't that nice?

Serena squeezes her eyes shut. She wants the pain to go away.

ASH: G- go. You will be strong. *Cough* You can- you can beat h- her! I- I won't die. That means I would never *cough* be able to see you again.

Slowly, Serena nods.

ASH: If I did... how could I ever forgive myself for making you cry *cough* ag- again?

Serena wipes away her tears, and stands.

SERENA: *Staring at J* Everyone, please take care of Ash.

AURA: R- right.

Fennekin, who had been sent flying from the impact of Hyper Beam, is unable to battle, so Serena returns her to its Poké Ball.

CLEMONT: Wait, Serena-!

But it's too late to turn back.

Let go of fear.

Serena repeats this phrase in her mind over and over again. Concentrating deeply, she replays what happened. Ash diving in front of her, getting hit by Hyper Beam. Focusing her attention on J's evil grin, Serena's eyes snap open.

I won't forgive you.

Instead of gold, a differently colored aura surrounds Serena.

Black and purple.

Rage overcomes the girl.

SERENA: *Shouts* I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!!!