Chapter 28: Tournament, Part II

Last time, the group meets up with Tierno and Trevor. When they arrive at school, Professor Sycamore from the Kalos region greets the school, explaining the rules of a Pokémon tournament he is hosting. The format is double battles. The teams with our favorite group members in them are Ash and Serena, May and Barry, Clemont and Trevor, Shauna and Tierno, and Dawn and a boy named Kenny from Sinnoh. 

SYCAMORE: There are two Pokémon stadiums set up in the back. Non-participants can wander between the battles and watch. The first matches are May and Barry VS. Aura and Cole, and Clemont and Trevor VS. Dawn and Kenny. Please set yourselves up!

CLEMONT: Well, looks like we're going against you. Just because we are friends, I won't hold back!

DAWN: Same goes for the both of you!

Meanwhile, with the first match.

MAY: Barry, we can't lose this one. Let's go!

BARRY: Right! WE ARE SO GONNA WIN THIS!

SYCAMORE: Battles, begin!

With the first match, May sends out Torchic and Barry sends out his Heracross. On the other side, a rare Zorua jumps off of Aura's shoulder and lands on the battlefield, with Cole's Skarmory by its side.

BARRY: *Points to the Zorua* Wh- what is the Pokémon?!

AURA: This is my partner, Zorua. It's pretty uncommon, so don't be surprised. It's a Dark-type.

MAY: Anyways, let's go. Torchic, use Flamethrower on the Skarmory!

BARRY: Heracross, Mega Horn on Zorua!

As Torchic runs, its beak turns a bright white color. It jumps and spins gracefully in the air, aiming for the bird Pokémon. Heracross charges at Zorua with its horn fully extended.

AURA: Zorua, go!

COLE: Skarmory!

The Dark-type Pokémon leaps high into the air and perches itself on Skarmory's back as the latter rises into the air. Both Pokémon avoid the attacks.

ZORUA: Okay! Who should I change into?

ALL STUDENTS (but Aura and Cole): WHAT, THAT POKÉMON CAN TALK?!

AURA: Torchic!

The Zorua radiates brightness, so everyone unprepared looks away. The Pokémon changes form until it turns into a Torchic. She launches herself beside May's Torchic. While everyone is confused, Cole takes command.

COLE: Skarmory, Wing Attack on Heracross! Go!

The wings of the Steel and Flying-type Pokémon glow as it aims for the helpless bug Pokémon. There's no time to react, and Heracross takes a super-effective hit and faints. Meanwhile, Torchic is stunned at its look-a-like.

BARRY: Heracross!

MAY: *Thinks* Oh no! *Shouts* Torchic, snap out of it! That's Zorua, so use Scratch on the other you!

But due to its confusion, it doesn't react fast enough.

AURA: Let's finish this!

AURA, ZORUA: Signature Move: Night Daze!

Zorua changes back to normal, and its eyes turn light blue as it raises its paws into the air. A crimson aura surrounds its body, and when the Pokémon slams its paws on the ground, a midnight black shockwave is released. Torchic, very close to its opponent, is caught in the move. The Fire-type faints immediately.

ASH: Holy Arceus, the battle over on May and Barry's side is over already?!

Everyone murmurs as the Pokémon are returned, except for Aura's Zorua. It returns to her shoulder.

ZORUA: It was a nice warm-up.

SERENA: *Glances over and thinks* That was fast. They have the right to be confident. If anything, they're going to be the ones we face off in the finals. Because Ash and I won't lose either!