Chapter 23: Broken, Part II

Note:

Sorry for the late update. I usually upload new chapters every couple hours or so, but I'm starting to get very busy this week. Also, this chapter may also be a bit longer than usual. Again,  sorry, and enjoy Chapter 23 :)

Last time, Ash, Serena, and Calem are in a group for a scavenger hunt. Once they are out of sight, Calem immobilizes Ash, Pikachu, and Fennekin and starts to hurt Serena with a knife. Her necklace breaks, and Sylveon releases itself to protect its Trainer.

The blood on Serena's hands makes her feel sick and dizzy, but she needs to be strong to protect the one's she loves.

SERENA: *Panting* Sy- Sylveon... Shadow ba- ball on... Meowstic. Quick!

SYLVEON: Sylv... Eon! *Fires the Ghost-type move*

With Meowstic using Psychic on the others, it has two options. Holding Psychic would allow it to get hit, but releasing the move allows Meowstic to dodge and sidestep the super-effective move. However, due to Calem's enraged state, no orders are given, and the Psychic-type is hurt. Meowstic's hold on Ash, Pikachu, and Fennekin disappears.

ASH: *Yells worriedly* Serena!

PIKACHU: Pikachu!

FENNEKIN: Fen, Fennekin!

Serena smiles, but she's still in pain. Ash turns to Calem, angered.

ASH: You hurt Serena, so you're not getting away with it! Pikachu, Electro Ball!

PIKACHU: *Worried* Pika! Pika, Pikachu Pi Pika! (Wait! Serena's hurt, she's top priority!)

FENNEKIN: Fenne Fen, Fen! (We'll get him, but later!)

Serena's leaning against a tree, clutching the broken necklace. She's holding in her tears, looking at Ash. Ash instantly feels guilty and picks Serena up, bridal style.

ASH: You're right. I'm sorry. Pikachu, use Thunderbolt on the ground to create dust!

Pikachu immediately obeys, and the two Trainers with the three Pokémon aimlessly flee, Serena, once again, in Ash's arms. Slowly, her vision fades.

When Serena opens her eyes again, she stares up at the faces of every student in the school (except, of course, Calem. Paul's also standing aside a bit xD). The closest ones to her are Ash, Dawn, May, Clemont, Barry, and Shauna. If Serena were standing, she would've jumped all the way back, but she's laying on a bed in the school infirmaries.

SERENA: *Winces as she's startled* What the- you guys all gave me a fright! *Laughs weakly*

Serena wishes she could have asked what had happened, but she knew better. Even if she tries, she can't forget the incident.

DAWN: *Sighs* Thank Arceus, Barry looked like he would've punched you in the face unless you woke up any sooner.

BARRY: I'm sorry, I can't help thinking like that!

ASH: *Glares at Barry* If you did, I would've punched YOU in the face. *Turns attention back to Serena* Anyways, how are you feeling?

Serena looks over to her left arm to find it all bandaged up. With her other hand, she touches her wound on her cheek to find it covered as well.

SERENA: *Sighs* I'm still scared, as if Calem were still here. I need to calm down. *Looks around* It would also help if everyone in school would stop staring at me, hint hint wink wink nudge nudge!

They blink, then realize what she wants. Everyone but the group of friends either backs away or returns to their normal schedule.

SHAUNA: Well, at least your okay enough to be humorous in this situation.

CLEMONT: Yeah. Always a good sign.

MAY: Hey, Serena, what's in your hand?

SERENA: Huh?

She finds the broken necklace still tight in her hand, and tears up a bit. The day Ash and Serena first kissed... It seems like forever since that day came, even though that was yesterday. Ash puts his hand over hers, snapping Serena out of her thoughts.

ASH: It's okay. We'll find another way for you to carry it around.

Ash knows enough not to try and get a new one. A gift like this could never be replaced.

SERENA: Um, where's Calem?

Her boyfriend looks down and clenches his fist.

ASH: We went to the place we last saw him, but apparently, he left. Let's consider him expelled.

Serena nods, and begins to cry again.

SERENA: *Wonders to herself* Why was it I was strong during my battle with J, but weak when Calem tried to hurt me? This makes no sense.

Everyone smiles and pats the injured girl reassuringly. Serena, still deep in thought, doesn't notice Ash trying to get her attention until he waves his hand in front of her face.

ASH: Serena? Let's get you home.