Chapter 64: To Fight Fire with Fire

WASSUP! I'm really tired cuz I just got back from school so yeah... Apologies for any laziness seen in the chapter. Without further ado, enjoy!

ASH: That's... Mega Evolution?!

The collar of bone elongates and multiplies, the body enlarges and becomes more muscular, its eyes begin to burn with a fire unwitnessed before- by Ash and Serena, at least.

Ash flinches, sensing the overwhelming strength of the Houndoom's very being.

ASH: *Mutters* There it is again...

SERENA: *Uneasy* I can sense it, too. This is... aura.

ASH: *Surprised* You mean, the aura that you draw your strength from?

*Le Flashback To A Moment You Readers Did Not See Cuz Yo Not Special (Jk I Love You Guys)*

SERENA: *Asks* Um, Aura? What is aura?

Aura stares.

SERENA: S-sorry, not as in your name...

AURA: No, it's fine- I get told that a lot- I sometimes wished I hadn't been named Aura. It's very inconvenient when the research group and I are talking about it. VERY.

SERENA: *Sympathetic* That must suck. Anyways, about my question-?

AURA: Yes. Well, aura is the sheer force of existing. Every being, object, anything physical... is made up of aura. It is a mysterious force that, as we've told you before, we've been researching.

SERENA: Wow...

AURA: Ones who have the natural ability to sense power radiating from Pokémon, well, they're sensing the aura, and they don't know it.

SERENA: So, the more aura, the more powerful? As in a Pokémon.

AURA: That is correct. Now, you have the unique skill of somehow channeling the aura through your strong feelings to Sylveon, the Intertwining Pokémon, and amplifying it and... perhaps, multiplying the aura.

SERENA: Oh... is that what you think my power is?

AURA: Yes. Cole and I will soon set off to see to other cases and prove the theory. I'm sure it will help with research.

SERENA: I wish the best for you!

AURA: As do I. Remember, you'll always have this power, so don't be afraid to use it...

*Le Present*

SERENA: Yes. I'm sure of it. And you... you have some ability like that too, don't you? The skill to perceive aura as it is in the world...

ASH: *Stunned* How did you know? *Dodges a Flamethrower and continues talking* Well, I'm glad I know what that is now. No pressure! *Dodges another* I can take on Miette. *Le dodge* I trust you to take on that Mega Houndoom! *Dodge*

SERENA: *Dodge* Alright, that'll work. *Le magnefique dodge* Just give me a second and cover me. *Another dodge* I'm counting on you!

ASH: *Grins and dodges* As do I! *Shouts* Pikachu, Thunderbolt on Slurpuff!

SERENA: You got that, right, Sylveon? He's counting on us.

SYLVEON: Sylv! (Gotcha!)

SERENA: We can't underestimate him, though we have the advantage. A Mega Evolved Pokémon is stronger than the average one many times over. Now, we can test how strong my feelings are, and how well I can control the aura.

SYLVEON: Sylveon, Syl, Sylv. (Now that we're truly aware, maybe we can use it better.)

SERENA: Right.

Serena closes her eyes, takes a deep breath. Sylveon copies these actions and wraps her ribbons around her Trainer's arm.

SERENA: *Thinks* You can count on me. I'll restrain myself...

A memory flashes back into her head. Fire, J on the ground, Ash hurt and bleeding. Her own, monstrous self.

SERENA: *Thinks* ...so that won't happen ever again. I will save us both!

Her eyes fly open, and the iris is ringed in gold.

SERENA: *Shouts* I CALL ON MY STRENGTH!