Chapter 48: Forgive?

Last time, Ash pushed Serena out of the way at the last second, leading him to get hit by the Hyper Beam. Serena once again stands up to J, but instead, with a black and purple aura.

The group is greatly surprised by this.

AURA: She's being consumed by rage and hate... It's only up to her to be able to pull herself out of it.

Ash and the others look at Aura with astonishment.

ASH: *Still being treated* C- consumed?

J: Drapion, get her. And bring her to me.

While Salamence recuperates after using Hyper Beam, Drapion raises its claws and leaps towards Serena.

EVERYONE: *Shouts* Serena!

But the girl nimbly dodges, boosting herself higher by kicking off of Drapion's head. She shoulder rolls to break the fall. Drapion swipes again, but Serena, a fairly small target, ducks. They continue this game of swiping and dodging until J grows frustrated.

J: Move! Salamence, Flamethrower!

Drapion dives to the side while Salamence exhales its firey breath. Serena begins to run towards the flames.

MAY: What is she-

When the flames almost touch her, she slides under them, and immediately continues running towards the Pokémon Hunter.

Never forgive you.

Serena remembers getting captured by J, ordered to hand over Eevee.

Never forgive you.

The girl remembers getting hit by J's cannon, and being saved by Fennekin and Ash.

Never forgive you.

She remembers standing up to J, and seeing the outraged look on her face as she was arrested.

Never forgive you.

And last of all, Serena recalls the moment Ash saved her from the Hyper Beam, even though she promised herself she wouldn't let anyone get hurt anymore. Because of her.

SERENA: J!!!

Her speed surprises J a lot, and the latter cant react fast enough, because Serena dashes right in front of her. The girl sweeps her leg underneath J, and the Hunter falls backwards. The angered Trainer advances.

ASH: Wait...

Though unarmed, everyone realizes that Serena could potentially harm J a lot, without restraint. Serena takes no need to his words.

ASH: Serena, listen to me.

Instead, the black and purple aura flares.

ASH: J did some terrible things. To all of us, and other people, as well.

The girl continues to walk forward, hands clenched.

ASH: Even so, this isn't the right thing to do. Deep inside, you realize this.

Serena hesitates for a moment.

ASH: Look at yourself. Who is this for?

SERENA: *Voice hoarse* I-

ASH: What will you recieve from getting vengeance on a foolish, mistaken person?

SERENA: *Fighting her mind* S- she-

ASH: Will you forgive? Or will you continue down this dark path?

Serena stops moving completely.

ASH: The Serena I know is a kind, loving, girl, who is always polite, and tries not to get angry at her friends. She's intelligent, caring, and selfless, who would do anything for another person.

Silence.

ASH: And most of all, she forgives. She once forgave me for a mistake of trying to seperate us.

SERENA: Fo- forgive?

Ash smiles slightly, still in pain, though.

ASH: Th- that's right. Forgive.

The dark aura still surrounds Serena. J decides to keep quiet, for her own good.

ASH: This isn't Serena. You are a shadowed version of her, warping her into something she's not. But I know somewhere, the girl in the straw hat is trying to reach reality, her freedom stolen by chains of darkness.

The girl's body begins to shake, her bangs covering her eyes. Then, they realize she is crying, but still with the evil aura still radiating from her.

ASH: Please! The Serena I know- she would never give up! Never give up until it's over!

More tears are shed. Finally, it's like a curse has just been lifted- a bright light emits from Serena, and when it's gone, she is kneeling.

SERENA: A- Ash. I heard you.

Ash smiles weakly, and is helped up by Clemont and Dawn. Aura immediately sprints over to J and ties her hands up with a rope, so quickly that J didn't know what happened.

The injured boy limps to the fallen girl, and hugs her. Serena hugs back, slowly but surely.

SERENA: Ash?

ASH: Yeah?

SERENA: *Smiles* Thank you.