Chapter 41: Pokémon Hunter

Note:

I understand all of you guys are very supportive, so please don't get upset if you weren't picked to be a rival.

@Sylvzy really stood out to me, so she will be introduced as Niko shortly to be Serena/Dawn's rival :) Here's another thing I should tell you. After I publish Chapter 49, to celebrate, Chapter 50 will be a Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction Special! If you haven't watched the movie yet and don't want (kind of) spoilers, please skip the chapter. Now, enjoy this very dramatic chapter!

Last time, the Kalos Queen herself congratulated Serena on her Showcase win. Now, it's a couple days after the Academy returns to Kanto.

CLEMONT: Well, Serena, now you're all over the news!

SERENA: That's nice- wait, what?!

The group of friends share a laugh.

MAY: It says you caught a Shiny Eevee.

DAWN: Which led you to help in the capture of J.

BARRY: And even after that, I mean, c'mon! You won a Princess Key when you have no experience in Performing at all!

Ash slings his arm over Serena's shoulders.

ASH: See? You're amazing!

SERENA: *Blushes* Thanks, but-

CLEMONT: *Yells* WAIT!

Clemont's outburst startles everyone.

DAWN: What's wrong?

The inventor stops walking and gapes at the paper in shock. Wordlessly, he points to a section as the others check it out. Serena takes the paper out of Clemont's hands.

SERENA: *Stunned* That- that's impossible...

News:

Important warning! The Pokémon Hunter known as J has escaped prison and is now on the loose. Her whereabouts are currently unknown, but future sights of where this Hunter may be can be predicted. Serena Yvonne, a teenager who now lives in the Kanto region, along with her friends assisted in the capture of J. They attend the Kanto Pokémon Academy. Academy teachers and students, please be careful-

But no one reads anything else, as Serena drops the paper.

ASH: *Mutters* Arceus! *Asks* Clemont, when did this paper come out?!

CLEMONT: Today, it's the latest update...

SERENA: It- no, it can't be...

ASH: *Grabs her shoulders* Serena, you're going to be fine. We're all going to be okay.

Dawn bites her lip. Shauna and May are still shocked from the news, and Barry's trying to calm Clemont down, who is worrying.

Suddenly, the group hears a roar, and they look to the sky. A blue figure soars above, eventually slowing down and stopping above the ground. Two Trainers are mounted on top.

???: Thank Arceus!

The people, a boy and a girl, drop down from the Pokémon and begin to sprint towards the group. The Pokémon then shape shifts to a Zorua.

ASH: Huh- Aura?! Cole?!

AURA: *Looks at paper on ground* So you've heard.

Ash grimaces.

COLE: Don't worry, apparently, she only just broke out. She most likely needs to prepare before her next move.

Serena calms down a little and nods.

AURA: But until that happens... you need to be extra cautious.

SERENA: How?

COLE: *Smiles a little* We're going to teach you how to fight.

The group looks shocked.

EVERYONE: F- fight?!

ZORUA: Each and every one of you must learn how to protect yourselves in the situation your Pokémon cannot help you.

ASH: Wait, you're talking about hand-to-hand combat?! We're like, fifteen!

PIKACHU: Pika, Pika! (Yeah!)

COLE: Yeah, it makes it sound like... what's it called? Divergent?

AURA: *Elbows Cole* Off-topic! But he's right. Just self-defense.

DAWN: This is a lot to take in...

Everyone nods in agreement.

AURA: *Muses* Shame, isn't it? Right when the future starts to look brighter... *Snaps back* You never know when you need it or not. You can't be too careful.

The next ten minutes of talking seems like a blur to Serena. Then, she's taken somewhere with Aura and Cole with the rest of her friends.

SERENA: *Thinks* Why? Why can't I live a normal life, without danger?