Chapter 43: Training

Last time, the group visits the headquarters and enters the training room. Serena wishes for Ash and her to get through together.

AURA: Pick up the pace, Clemont!

Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Dawn jog laps around the huge room. Of course, Clemont lags behind. By a lot.

CLEMONT: *Panting* S- sorry!

Serena surprisingly keeps up the lead, Ash shortly following her.

ZORUA: That's enough.

The Trainers collapse on the ground, sweating. The running group switches with the other group, so now, they are using the punching bags.

Two minutes later.

SERENA: Hya!

The girl throws the hardest punches she at the bag. Barry looks over and shivers.

BARRY: I- I think I won't bug you anymore, Serena!

Pikachu laughs and resumes cheering on his Trainer. Obviously, Clemont isn't very good, while Ash and Dawn seem to be holding up fine. A couple minutes later, Aura, Cole, and Zorua call everyone to the center.

COLE: Everyone is in shape, more or less.

AURA: Now, here's the most simple move you'll ever have to use.

Cole sighs, as if he's been expecting this. He walks up to Aura and stands a foot in front of her. In a swift movement, Aura steps forward with her left foot, brings her right one around the back of Cole's ankle, and pulls back.

COLE: *Trips* I really hate this part... why me?

The trainees practice this basic move on one another, until most of them has gotten the hang of it. Aura and Cole begin to teach them other moves.

AURA: *Cheerfully* Good work!

The group responds by grumbling and shouting about sore backs and throbbing ankles.

COLE: Now, Serena and Barry, step up.

The two do as they're told.

ZORUA: Fight.

They look surprised for a second, but then nod.

ASH: Barry, if you hurt her real bad-

AURA: Don't overdo it, just put the other in a position where they can't fight back.

EVERYONE: DAUNTLESS!

Aura, Cole, and Zorua sweat drop.

COLE: Begin!

BARRY: *Walks around her in circles* Would you like me to go easy on y-

A couple seconds later.

BARRY: *On ground* Ow ow, and OW...

Ash hugs Serena.

ASH: That was quick and awesome!

CLEMONT: No offense, but I never expected a girl like you to become so interested in this stuff!

SERENA: None taken, and, uh, thanks?

The others congratulate her and get ready for their own little fights.

SERENA: *Thinks* I'm not interested in it. I don't like this fighting at all. My job is only to fight well so I can be a protector, and get everyone out of this- my mess.

Ash seems to notice her true thoughts, and pulls her out to the side a bit.

ASH: Hey.

Serena looks away, uncomfortably.

ASH: This isn't your fault at all. If you hadn't stopped J, someone else might've had to, and she would go after them, right?

Serena nods, barely.

ASH: But we're all tougher than that, so we can take the burden. You may think it's mostly because of you, but all of us are targets, so we'll fight through, together.

SERENA: How can you say that for sure?

Ash smiles confidently.

ASH: I told you! We're all tougher than that. All you have to do is never give up. Never give up until it's over.