Trial Four

I don't wanna be anything that I haven't been lately.

I woke up to find that Jack wrapped his arm around my waist, holding  me tightly to him. I smiled and moved my arm on accident, waking up Jack. "Morning gorgeous" he whispered into my ear, brushing his lips against my neck.

"Morning" I said sleepily and faced him, my eyelids were still half closed.  

"You...you kicked ass yesterday" he said softly, I smiled, kissed his cheek and sat up, stretching and getting out of bed.

 "W-where you going?" he asked quickly (and concerningly), sitting up on his elbows.

 "Out" I yawned and he looked at me strangely "I'm not sleepy anymore" I added, rubbing my eyes as my stomach growled lightly.

 "Is it because what I said?" he asked, swinging his legs over the side of the bed and walking over to me. I smiled and hugged him.

"No, no, of course not! A lot has happened lately...and I need some time to think" I said, my stomach growled "and eat" I said, smiling to him again and kissing his cheek bone. "It's nothing that you said" I whispered, he sighed and nodded, walking to the WC (which is just a room with a chamber pot), I took this opportunity to walk outside. I had a dream the night before, and it just made me nervous. The dream was of Jack and I lying in bed, just talking.

Then, one thing led to another and (in the dream) I woke naked. As I meandered around the decks I had forgotten about Kayla being able to read minds, so I went on as normal. Finally, when I was helping raise the sails, she grabbed my arm and pulled me over to the side of the deck. Jack watched this, but pretended he didn't. "You need to tell me about these things" she snarled.

"What things?" I asked and she looked at me suspiciously. "What is to tell?...besides, I feel better with you reading my mind" I concluded.

"We need to talk about these things" she said glaring at me.

"It's always talk, talk, talk with you isn't it?" I snarled, there was a short pause and she looked hurt "oh, I'm sorry I just.....I'm going to try and handle this on my own, for once." I apologized, feeling hurt myself.

"if you don't get it and you brake down in tears it's not my fault...but I'm always here for you" she said walking away, into the kitchen.

"What does she mean by tears?" I mumbled to myself as  the crew finished pulling up the sails.

I spent my entire day thinking about it ('it' being the dream and what Kayla said to me). I was like a zombie. If you talked to me I couldn't remember our conversation, or if we even had one. I skipped lunch and dinner, trying to figure out what my dream meant. Frankly, part of me didn't want to know what it meant, but, the other, stronger, better half of me pleaded to know the meaning. 

I couldn't sleep that night. So, I stayed up, sitting next to the wheel and watching the full moon rise as I thought about it. "You going to eat?" someone asked, I looked up to find Gibbs smiling down at me.

 "I'm not hungry" I whispered and he sat down next to me, bread in hand.

 "What's wrong?" he asked, chewing.

"Nothing"

"I'm not going to ask, but I know it's not healthy...not eating, I mean." he said then my stomach grumbled "are you trying to starve yourself?" he asked curiously, I laughed and sighed.

"No, I've been distracted by my thoughts all day" I replied, sighing and feeling my eyelids become heavy.

 "Oh, then get Kayla, I bet she'll know what's--"

"No, I-I want to do this on my own for once...just once" I said, feeling my stomach vibrate with groans of hunger. 

"Alrighty then, but remember, you still have to finish the trails....you need sleep for the next one" Gibbs warned.

 "I'll be fine..."

"But-"

"I beat up Davy Jones for god-sakes I'll be fine" I growled turning my head and glaring at him. Gibbs nodded and went back down into the kitchen. Wait a moment...how does he know what my next trial is? "Master Gibbs!" I called after him, standing and hurrying into the kitchen.

*My next trail is.. I have to swim through a series of mazes to get to the other side of a large underwater sandbar and only taking so many breaths. Before I jumped in I glanced around to the rest of the Brethren Court and nodded. Sighing, catching my breath, and jumping into the murky water. I hit the bottom of the sandbar moments later, minutes after and I came to the first maze, left or right? I closed my eyes and felt a tug toward the right,so I followed, after doing a series of those I came to a tunnel that lead downward and I felt a tugging to go into it.

My lungs felt like they were about to burst, I glanced up but I couldn't see the surface! I panicked then I heard faint shouts of Kayla yelling "just come up for air Brittney!" But I couldn't. Then something pulled me down.....down......down into the hole. I let out air bubbles in my panic and tried to get my foot away from whatever it was pulling me into that watery hell.

But that thing just pulled harder, finally I saw a bright light coming and the end of the water. It yanked me around and pushed me through, I landed on my back.

There was no water.

I sat up, the water was on the celling! Now gulping down oceans of air, I stood up to find a beautiful field with flowers and streams of sunlight. I looked down to find that I was completely dry. It was like I didn't even start the trail. I just happened to glance to my right and I found a sea-being.

It had webbed hands and feet but it stood on two legs like you or I. It had huge, black eyes and had green scales with a yellow tail, and claws. It bowed to me, then jumped back into the water that was on the celling. Almost instantly afterward I felt a pang pain in my ankle. That thing had grabbed me with its claws, and I had began bleeding "oh, this is just fantastic" I whispered, tearing part of my sleeve off and wrapping it around my wound.