Chapter 1

"Mum! Please!" I begged, I had asked her and pleaded with her a few times already but it was clear that she was never going to agree with me but that didn't mean that I couldn't try. Also, I felt the need to push it to the extent that I was because it meant so much to me.

We were both stood in the kitchen, she was tidying up and it was one of the few times that she was within the house so I knew I had to ask her then otherwise I would have very few chances to. My mother lived a very busy life, she worked almost every hour that God sent to her because her job as a lawyer was very demanding and we needed the money since there was only her income coming in.

"No! And I mean no! I'm not forking out any money for another concert!" She snapped, I was pushing her and I knew that but she never listened to me. It wasn't so much that she didn't care because she was in general a good mother but she was very closed minded and argumentative which meant that I didn't really get a word in edgeways. I'd knew before I'd even asked her that she would say no. She'd always called The Wanted another stupid band that only stupid, easily convinced girls fall for and foolishly pay ridiculous sums of money to, I'd tried to argue their case but she was having none of it.

"Mum! This is different!" I pleaded, I was beginning to sound desperate and I hated that but I needed her approval or agreement. She didn't really get the whole 'band/fan thing', she also didn't realise that concert tickets were quite cheap and even for low earning families like us, it wouldn't exactly break the bank. I'm aware that this conversation portrays me to be a little bit bratty but I actually didn't ask for very much because I knew that my mother was almost always stressed and that money was tight. I tried to pay for what I wanted with my own money or I did without it but for a situation like this where if I did pay for myself, I would have little to no money left for anything else, I would attempt to barter with her. 

"Like the last one was different? And the time before that? And the time before that?" She shouted, she was getting a bit frustrated now. It was evident that she was very tired which could be seen clearly on her face. She was exaggerating and she knew that since I had only ever asked to go to see one concert before but as she was so tired, she wouldn't see reason. 

"What if I pay for it myself?" I suggested, even though I really didn't want to use the money I had saved up for so long. I tried not to spend money or buy an excess of new things therefore I had a nice little sum of money hidden in my bedroom if I came to need it but it was hardly a small fortune. From time to time, my mum would go on a business trip and leave me with some money which wouldn't stretch out long enough to last me for the time that she was gone so I'd dip into my savings. It had happened before that she completely forgot to leave money and if I hadn't had money, I would have starved. She had apologised but she didn't have enough money to subsidise me. 

"I don't want you to go to that concert and that's final!" She shouted, the sheer volume of her voice shocked me slightly but not quite as much as her words. I couldn't really understand why she was behaving this way since I had been quite reasonable and levelheaded so far. 

"But it's completely safe!" I shouted back at her, my eyes began to water in frustration. My mother and I don't have the best relationship, she's perfectly caring don't get me wrong but our personalities clash so we end up arguing quite often so there's always a bit of tension between us. 

"Don't talk back to me! You're banned from going that concert and I don't want to hear another word about it!" My mother had started to think that I was going to disobey her so she decided to assert her authority more often now. I was never the rebellious sort of person so I don't know what she was expecting but she acted that way anyway. 

At that point I stormed out of the room because I felt like bursting into tears. She didn't know anything. she'd never been a fan of anyone, she didn't even like music. She thought fans were just girls who followed celebrities around and were naive enough to think that they actually had a chance. That was hardly ever the case. I'd never once followed them around, I just spent my time on Twitter trying to get someone to notice me. I still make collages often including them like I had done when I first started college. It was heartbreaking to think that I could never see them live, where they are at their best. 

I shoved on my Converse that I'd covered in doodles like the bus guy. I made them for an art project in my first year, we had to modify clothing and when I found out the brief I knew exactly what I wanted to do. My teacher loved the idea and so did I, I wore them constantly, they reminded me of a better time and a nice memory. I started heading for the door but before I could leave, my mum's voice boomed out.

"Where are you going?" My mum shouted from the kitchen, she sounded angry and annoyed. At the same time, she sounded a little bit bored with me, to be fair she had much more important things to be worrying about than her daughter's tantrum. 

"Out!" I shouted in return. 

"I don't think so!" My mum said but I had gone past caring and I slammed the door shut as loudly as possible to prove a point. I really didn't want to point-blank disobey my mother with her knowing so I decided to admit defeat. 

I stomped back into my room. I had to do something, I had to get out of the house before the tension in the air chocked me. I opened my bedroom window and climbed out onto the garage then I went to the edge and looked down at the ground. It seemed so far down even though the rational part of my brain knew it was only 10ft or so. I'd gotten this far quite often whenever my mum was annoying me but I never make it down, I always backed out in fright. I decided that I was going to jump this time which was undoubtedly a bad decision since my balance was poor at best. I jumped down on top of my mum's car and onto the floor, my ankles buckled on impact causing me to fall to the floor and scrape my arm. I was in imminent pain but there was no time to dwell on it.

"Crap." I whispered, not wanting to make much noise because my mum had ears like a bat.

I texted Alex and we were going to meet at 'Our park bench'. It became our park bench when we first started dating and Alex brought a blow torch and burned our names into the wood... Along with a rather offensive phrase to warn people off our bench. I didn't want to ask him to come with me but if he found out that I had gone out alone then I would be in trouble and I wanted to avoid that.