Chapter 23

Hello my lovelies! Yay 9,000 views! Only 1,000 until I have 10,000 that's insane!

This week I've finally planned what I want to happen in this book... And the sequel. Yes. The sequel. It's very dramatic and I'm pretty sure you're all going to hate me but... I think it's worth the risk :) Sorry this is a bit of a boring chapter but necessary. :)

Nathan's POV

I stayed with Lexi all day; I just held her hand and talked to her whenever she wanted to. I felt really... Comfortable. When I have been with other girls, this usually would have bored me but with Lexi? I wouldn't change a single moment.

"Why do you call me princess?" She asked while she absentmindedly played with my fingers.

"Because you're my little damsel in distress and I'm your price charming." I said, smiling widely at her because of my cheesiness.

"Charming? Err." She said attempting to be serious but a small smile crept across her face making it light up like fireworks in the night sky.

"Oh shut it you!" I laughed, slapping her gently on the arm. She cringed slightly and opened her mouth as if to say something but then looked at me and shut her mouth again. Alex is really getting on my nerves right now. I think lately she’s acting more like herself: cheeky, happy and adorable but every so often, she shrinks back to what she was before and that scares me because if she ends up with him again I think she'll be that person permanently and not my cute, little, sweet Lexi.

"I sowy." She pouted like a child then kissed my nose. She liked to kiss my nose, I noticed, but I'm not complaining.

"Ugghhh." She sighed.

"What's up princess?" I asked.

"I am sick of this flaming hospital room! Get me out of here!" She joked.

“Not until the nurses say that you can.” I smiled, drawing lines on her hand with my fingers. She sighed but smiled.

"Do you think they'll catch him Nath?" She asked, her smile dropping off her face like a brick.

"Of course they will, it's their job." Honestly, I have no idea whether they will catch him. I hope so obviously because I want Lexi to feel safe and not to be jumpy, I just want her to be happy with me. But I don't know, he's obviously cunning and must have realised that she may tell someone at some point so I imagine he has some plan but I have no intention of telling Lexi what I really think, right now she needs to be babied and keeping my thoughts from her might just give her some peace of mind.

"Good." She said bluntly. 

"Tell me what's wrong." I said, I could tell she was upset but holding herself together.

"I'm scared he'll come after me and he'll find you and he'll hurt you." She said, looking down.

"And you're not scared for yourself?" She shook her head, confused.

"You're a weird girl, do you know that? But I wouldn't change a thing. You're so selfless. You're never scared for yourself, always others."

"I'm not selfless." She sighed

"Oh yes you are my dear."

"I don't deserve you Nathan James Sykes."

"Pish-posh. I'm hardly perfect."

"But you are!" She exclaimed, moving a strand of hair away from my face.

"No..." I lifted up my sleeve and held it up to her, I felt she may be more comfortable knowing I'm not perfect and maybe she could help me as much as I help her. Her eyes widened but she didn't say a word she just traced the lines of the scars gently.

"I errr... Got a bit depressed when my sister got cancer." She still didn't say a word and I was grateful. Over the years I had grown tired of the relentless apologies from people who didn't really know what to say but sometimes you don't have to say anything at all.

"It became a bit of a habit." I said and she just traced more lines, her fingers going over the different bumps of the scars.

"Don't do it again." She whispered, kissing me again. A nurse walked in and smiled sweetly at us.

"Hello Lexi! Lovely day today! Generally, patients with your type of injury stay within the hospital for a few more days but the doctors and nurses here can see that your spine is healing really well considering so you can be released today however you must stay off your feet at all times. I know it's a pain but it has to be done." Damn she was perky but I felt so happy knowing I could wake up, walk two steps and see Lexi. 

"I can go?" She asked excitedly.

"Yes, we just need both you and Mr Sykes to sign some release papers and you're good to go." She squealed excitedly, clapping her hands together like an excited seal. The nurse returned with two forms and handed one to each of us. It said the basics, asking for personal details, medical details and other stuff like that. We handed the forms back and I started packing her bags which basically contained her phone. I called Kevin yesterday to go to her house, claiming to be the friend's father and to pick up lots of Lexi's stuff for her so she didn't have to borrow loads of clothes that weren't hers. I wheeled her out of the room and towards the front door when I saw a bright flash- cameras. I turned round and headed towards the back exit and was met by Kevin who took us back onto the bus. 

"Lexi! You're back!" Taraf exclaimed smiling and dragging Max by his sleeve to greet us. 

"Nice to meet you." Max smiled and Lexi tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. 

I left her alone for a little while because being in someone's company can get a bit tiresome. When I found her again, she was tucked in a corner, humming slightly to Chasing The Sun while she watched Ice Age 4: Continental Drift. I laughed at her cheekiness and cuddled up to her since she couldn't move. 

Her phone rang so I grabbed it for her and put it on speaker.

Hello.

"Hi."

The hospital has informed us that you've been discharged today.

"Yup."

We'd like to inform you that we have began a public investigation into the arrest of Alex Woodwood. With the help of your description of his location, we managed to track him down. However it seems as if he has gone on the run since the majority of his possessions were abandoned. Our advise is to get out of the country, keep your head down and watch out because we feel that his aim may now be to capture and punish you.

"O-okay." Was the last thing she said. She sat there, staring into the distance with tear filled eyes. Motionless and emotionless like a statue.

"Thank you very much, we'll decide where we're going to go to then we'll call you so you can inform the local police there." I added.

Fantastic idea Mr Sykes. We'll hear from you soon.

"It'll be alright princess." She shook her head.

"You don't have to be so strong all the time." I told her. She broke down and I think that's a good thing. I think people who let out their emotions are stronger because you can move on quicker. 

"I've always liked Canada." I said randomly.