Chapter 2

I started speed walking, not wanting to keep Alex waiting since he didn't like me to be late when I was meeting him. I checked my watch which was as precise as I could get it and saw that I was approximately 1 minute late. I took off sprinting as fast as I could which was pretty slow anyway, I knew being late would not end well for me so if I could minimize the amount of time it took then I would do it. I arrived a minute later and found him sitting there, his arms were crossed and he looked annoyed. I ran to the bench and flopped down, clutching at his arms to gain his attention and to show him how sorry I was.

"I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I am!" I exclaimed, the panic was rising inside of me quickly. I didn't want to disappoint him, I really didn't.

"You better be... Now give me a kiss." Alex said, grabbing me roughly and pulling me towards him. I tried pulling backwards but his hands pushed me back down so that I couldn't move. It was disgusting and in no way loving, just forceful and dominating. 

"Stop. Please." I tried to say but my voice was muffled. I didn't want to kiss him, I hadn't wanted to for so long. Why do I keep doing it? I have no choice, he won't listen when I ask him to stop and I certainly can't leave him, what else can I do?

He finally pulled back, obviously angry with me which was clear to see in his fury filled eyes. He pushed me away from him forcefully enough to knock me off balance so that I fell to the floor. Great, I thought to myself. Now I had a scrape on my leg too, yet another injury to add to my rapidly expanding collection. I climbed back on to the bench and sat close enough to Alex so that he wouldn't question me but not very close to him so that I wouldn't feel completely uncomfortable.

"Say it." He said casually whilst punching me in the arm as if it happened all the time. 

"I love you." I said quickly, looking at my feet. Around six months ago, he came up with a method that he said that would allow him to control me, at the time I honestly thought he was joking but it turned out that he wasn't. One day when I went to his house, he started punching me in the arm and he continued to do so for the rest of th day. It worked like this: he would punch me in the arm and he would make me say 'I love you' every time until it became a reflex. By the end of the day, my arm was more purple than white and it hurt to move it but it was effective for him because it is now a natural instinct. 

"Please come to see The Wanted with me next week? Mum won't let me go! We can sneak away together!" I said, pleading with him, trying to appeal to his devious side. Alex had liked getting into trouble for as long as I'd known him whether it being drinking or anything illegal, he was up for it although thankfully he never involved me in it. 

"Do you like them? I am the only boy you need to focus on." I had never let him come to my house so he hasn't seen any collages because my mum doesn't know about us and I don't want her too either because it would explain too many things, too many bruises, too many tears. I think she must suspect something because sometimes it was quite noticeable and my behaviour had changed dramatically compared to how I was before college but if she was concerned, she certainly didn't voice her worries. 

"I know. I'm so sorry!" That's all I ever seem to say to him. 'I'm sorry', I wasn't really sorry for what I had said, I was sorry that I ever thought that he was a decent person. 

I met Alex in college, he seemed nice back then. We'd gotten close over a two week period and one day he asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes because we got on so well. We became one of those cute/annoying couples that held hands and weren't too shy about PDA. However somewhere along the line, I did something. I don't remember what, it was only small, and he snapped like a twig. He became so angry and violent, I tried to leave him but he punched me and said he called the shots, not me, not ever... I'd been with him for 2 years and he'd gotten worse not better. He scared me, I tried to keep my distance but he'd always found me and told me not to do it again. I tried to make him love me so he would get softer but he just thought I loved him and tried to manipulate me more than ever... I tried to be a good little girlfriend but no matter what I did, I did something wrong...

"You better be! The Wanted? Ha!" I wanted to say something, he was disrespecting my idols, the people who make me strong when I just wanted to collapse, the reason I am here now, the reason I hadn't thrown myself of a bridge already. But I couldn't say anything, I wanted to, my heart was screaming for me to say something, to scream at him and run away but my head was in control this time and it was telling me that saying anything will just cause more pain and I knew my head was right... 

"Yes." I say simply because that's what he wants me to be. Simple. Quiet. Obedient. Acting like that made me feel sick with myself, I never thought that I would become controlled and voiceless...

"That's a good girl." Could he be more condescending? I hated him beyond belief.

"I have to go! My mum... She'll have realised that I will have gone by now." I realise, wanting to get away. I didn't really care what my mum had to say, I just needed a good enough excuse to get far away from him.

"You don't have to answer to her. You have to answer to me. And you're staying." He said sternly, he didn't expect me to disagree with him.

"Please. I have to go!" I begged, shuffling backwards so that I was further away from him.

He grabbed my arm, sensing my hesitance to stay, and yanked me backwards. I stumbled but I managed to regain my balance and start to pull away from him.

"Let me go!" I shouted, I was trying to catch the attention of people in the surrounding area so that they could perhaps come to my rescue but no one was paying us any attention. 

He swung me round and pushed me to the floor, my back slamming onto the ground. I scrambled to my feet and walked backwards, wincing in agony.

"You come back here right now!" He yelled, his fists were already clenched, ready to swing and I knew he would if I stayed much longer.

"If you follow me, I'll scream!" I shout back at him, my voice was trembling along with the rest of me. I took off, running as fast as I could back home but I could hear him shouting "You're going to pay for that!" in the distance. With every pounding of my foot on the ground, a shooting pain went up my spine... What had he done?

I ran to the back of the house and collapsed around the side of my mum's car. I didn't try to hold it together this time... I just cried, letting the tears run out of me like a waterfall. I knew I couldn't stay out here forever, my mum would notice I wasn't sulking in my room eventually, if not already. I climbed on top of the car and heaved myself onto the garage and through the window

You'll regret that  -Alex

I whimpered, as if he was here, his fist raised above me, ready to strike, it wasn't hard to imagine though... He'd done it so many times before. I was so tired of living in fear of him... Why couldn't things be simple? Why couldn't I live the lives of the people I dream up late at night, trying to escape my thoughts. 

I slumped onto my bed, yelping quietly in pain, and grabbed my IPod and instinctively played I'll be your strength, just like the other countless times I have done. 

It was going to be a long week...