Chapter 38

EEEYUUPP!

First of all, Two shoes has now hit 39K which is utterly mind blowing so THANK YOUUUUU, #nicely.

Second of all... HIII! Remember to vote and comment or I'll be very sad! :'(

Recap in italic

Nathan's POV:

"It's Lexi. Her heart rate picked up and I-I was holding her hand and her fingers moved. Her fingers moved!" I exclaimed. I couldn't believe it, after all this inner turmoil of not knowing whether or not she'd wake up and then this happened, it seemed like a dream...

"Nathan are you sure?" Mariam asked. For possibly the first time, she gave me that sympathetic look that everyone always gave me when they knew my situation. I could almost imagine what she was thinking, poor delusional guy thinks she's actually got a chance of getting better. Immediately I regretted thinking such a thing because Mariam was so lovely. I knew she wouldn't think something so cruel but surely she thought something along the same lines, everyone would be...

"I... Well... Ye-No but her heart rate definitely picked up. I'm sure she moved her fingers, I'm sure of it!" I lied, I wasn't entirely sure. Part of me believed it had happened but I had no confidence in my mental stability at that time so it was highly likely that I had imagined it. I wouldn't admit that though, I'd stand my ground even if I did look like a fool, I suppose I am a fool.

"Nathan listen to me. I understand situations like these are stressful and I've noticed you were doing a lot better with your friends around. It's only part of my job to support the patient, I also have to support the friends and family of that patient. I've taken it upon myself to inform your friends of your current... State and they're on their way over." It took me a moment to understand what she was saying and as soon as I realised, I was filled with anger. I had trusted her and she went off and told the boys what I had done. I didn't want them to come over, it was too much hassle and they'd baby me, also I wanted them to do well and just leave me alone.

"You had no right to tell them, no right!" I shouted, she flinched slightly but she did not show that she was scared in any other way. Her expression turned hard and unreadable.

"Nathan I did what I did because you are clearly at risk. I would find it extremely difficult to continue within my job if you did something dangerous and I could have prevented it. I'm not making that an option because I'm getting you help, not another psychologist but your friends, people who love you and understand." She explained, she had closed off her emotions and made it so that if she was feeling hurt, she wouldn't show me.

"Anyway... There is a strong possibility that Lexi did move her fingers since her heart rate is nearly normal which shows the signs that she is waking up." She continued. Her stony mask began to fall as I started smiling. All the signs were starting to look positive and I felt a little less like an idiot for believing she would get better.

"What does that mean?" I asked after hesitating. I wanted to feel elated and carefree because Lexi was getting better but I needed to understand what the deal was here before I could feel too happy in case everything came crumbling down again.

"It means that we can start helping her, if it's clear that she's coming around then we can aid her in doing so. It's not a complex procedure but there are a few risks. For example, we can turn off her oxygen machine meaning she would have to start breathing independently however there is the risk that she cannot do so. I'm only telling you them so you can make an informed decision but problems with the procedures are very very rare. Basically Nathan you have two options: you can leave her and let her hopefully come around in the future or we can rush this and we can do what we can to wake her up. I'm not going to pressure you to make this decision quickly because it is a big one to make so I'll give you some time to think although the boys should be here soon." She explained. I could feel my excitement and happiness draining out of me like air out of a balloon. I was so close to true happiness and then of course there would have to be another factor to ruin everything.