Chapter 39

Only 5 more chapters!!!!

This is set one week later

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

FAN

Nathan's POV:

"Okay Nathan, we're about to remove her oxygen mask for a moment and hopefully she should wake up or start to respond." Mariam told me, she wasn't focused on me but she was fussing around Lexi and making sure everything was in place.

I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. It had been a tough week, she had moved her fingers slightly more but that was all which dampened my hopes a little bit. I wasn't allowed to see her much because the hospital staff had to get to work and I was in the way. I had been anticipating her waking up for months and now that they were saying that this is it, I couldn't help but feel nervous and unprepared. It felt so strange to think that she was actually going to wake up, I couldn't imagine what I'd do with myself when I don't have to visit the hospital every single day.

The boys hadn't left my side all week, worried sick that I'd do something disastrous if they left me alone for more than a minute. I could also tell that they were plagued by guilt for allowing me to take a step backwards when they left me. Although, I have gotten better now they're around. When you're alone you spend a lot of time in your head which proves devastating for me. However now I have people to talk to and distract me which makes me more calm and more sensible. I also have a lot more fun when they're around, they'll make jokes and tease each other, sometimes they include me, sometimes they don't and I just watch while laughing.

"Everybody ready?" Mariam asked and all the other nurses nodded or muttered yes. She placed her hands around the side of the mask and began to pull it off. There were 2 other nurses and both of them looked on edge and ready to burst into action if the situation called for it. They were clearly pushed for space, I felt bad for being in there but I really didn't want to leave her, especially now.

"Nathan I'm sorry, we need the space, you need to go outside." Mariam instructed quickly, she didn't even take a glance at me. I opened my mouth to protest but Tom was one step ahead of me and he pulled me out of the room. I wanted to fight free, I didn't want to leave her. What if she got scared? She had never met these people before and I knew it would take a lot for her to begin to trust people again.

"Sorry mate but you have to listen to them. They wouldn't ask it of you unless it was needed." Tom said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I knew he was right of course but that doesn't mean that I had to agree.

There were 5 chairs fixed to the wall opposite the room and we all took a seat upon one. I rested my head in my hands and breathed out heavily. Jay patted me on my back reassuringly.

"So... Two Shoes. Is it going well mate?" Jay asked me, I raised my head and lowered my arms down so that they rested awkwardly and uncomfortably on my knees. Everyone was tense and nervous and things were awkward between us all, no one knew what to say anymore since we'd all branched out so quickly.

"Yes surprisingly so. People seem really happy about it and I'm getting less hate. How are you doing?" I answered smoothly, before asking Jay the question.

"Yeah good, I've got a TV audition next week with MTV." None of us were surprised, with the success of his radio show escalating higher than the station had anticipated, most TV programmes wanted him once they had heard that he was interesting in a job on the television.

"That's great, Max?" I asked Max who was looking at a text message from his Mum with a picture of Ronnie, his dog, attached to it. A smile was spread across his face but he snapped out of it when he was the question.