Chapter Five-JFK; 1960-1; (Part Five)

~~~

The other person was celebrity Attorney and author Melvin Mouron Belli (July 29, 1907 – July 9, 1996); Belli represented stars like  Zsa Zsa Gabor; Errol Flynn; Chuck Berry; Muhammad Ali; the Rolling Stones; Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye Bakker; Martha Mitchell; Lana Turner; Tony Curtis; and Mae West. Belli won a lot of money during his legal career. He also acted in various movies and TV roles.

~~~

Because of the raid, Pat Brown's run in the 1950 election for the State of California Attorney-General position.

       By 1961, the brothel was destroyed.

~~~

**Two years' before, in 1958, as a California Democrat, he won against  William Fife Knowland (June 26, 1908 – February 23, 1974), a Republican. Knowland's father was Joseph Russell Knowland (August 5, 1873 - February 1, 1966), edited "The Oakland Tribune", (which he also was the publisher). He served in The House of Representatives**.

~~~

59.75% - 40.16% was the winning majority that Pat Brown won over Knowland, (1 million votes won out of 5.25 million votes; or about 1/5 of all votes counted).

~~~

THE CARYN CHESSMAN CASE

Caryl Whittier Chessman (May 27, 1921 – May 2, 1960), was a rapist as well as a robber. He was one of the worst killers in his time.

     Chessman, a native of St. Joseph, Michigan, was known as "The Red Light Bandit". He raped women by falsely dressing up as a Police Officer and drive around to search for female victims. And, when the car window would open, he would attack them. Chessman was charged with rape, kidnapping, and other crimes.

          The Zodiac Killer, (who also roamed the San Francisco/California area in the mid to late 1960's and early 1970's), also was known to roam the same area...but Arthur Leigh Allen, (or someone else), had other methods to subdue his victims. By the  end of the consevative 1950's the so-called McCarthy hearings that ruined Hollywood took its toll; by the beginning of the 1960's, everyone was struggling with the birth of protests, riots, peace demonstrations, and America losing face when Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin was the first man on the moon in 1961, thus annoying the new US President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

~~~

Page 5