Chapter Sixty-Vice Raids; 1962-January 1963

~~~Quote: "I'm afraid...based on my own experience...that fascism will come to America in the name of national security", New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison, (November 20, 1921-October 21, 1992), unquote~~~

I

"Quarter Crime Emergency Declared by Police, DA.  Garrison Back; Vows Vice Drive to Continue: 14 Arrested; 12 more nabbed in Vice Raids", screamed the newspapers. And, while prostitution, drugs, and illegal liquor was down by 1962, Jim Garrison's true test was JFK's assassination. And, while every criminal who had sex, were busted, everyone was saying that Garrison was the new Eliot Ness. But he wasn't; Garrison was his own man...He wasn't going to follow in the shadows of Ness.

II

With no criminals in the French Quarter, Garrison was working with Assistant DA. "He's got a heart of gold", Jim Garrison was quoted to say of him.

III

He made controversial accusations of racketeering. Because of that, he was censured. Despite that trouble Garrison had, he held his ground against the Criminal Court Judges. Once he was saved from getting into more trouble, Garrison survived. And, by the time JFK was assassinated on November 22, 1963, in Dallas, Texas, the next stage of his legal career as District Attorney, (up to 1973-the year I was born), would tear at the very heart and fabric of America...apart.

~~~

TO BE CONTINUED...

Page 60