Chapter Twenty-Four-The Cuba Missile crisis; WWII-October 15, 1962

~~~Quote: "The most terrifying moment in my life was October 1962...during the Cuban Missile Crisis...I did not know all the facts. We have learned only recently how close we were to war...but I knew enough to make me tremble", unquote, Sir Joseph (Józef ) Rotblat, Polish/British scientist, (KCMGCBEFRS), (4 November 1908 – 31 August 2005), who worked on "The Manhattan Project", and other sensitive classified projects; and peace activist~~~

I

US General Edward Lansdale, in January 1962,  worked with US President John F(itzgerald) Kennedy, on a secret mission called "OPERATION MONGOOSE"; President Kennedy vowed to crush the regime of Castro by using the CIA, (Central Intelligence Agency), to form the  Special Activities Division, a shoot-off of the US Government for the time of the crisis, as every US citizen and family watched the terror unfold on TV and radio.

II

After the Berlin Wall crisis of 1961, Kennedy fought the Germans. The ghosts of the Führer in WWII, (almost two decades before), symbolised a course of action that culminated in "The Berlin Wall" being erected.

      The Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (NSDAP), "Nazi Party", was still a threatening organisation. When Hitler published "Mein Kampf", "My Struggle", (1925), the terror that he imposed on the Jews during The Holocaust couldn't be forgotten. With six million Jewish people murdered in the gas chambers and "concentration camps" in WWII, the West was haunted by dictators like Hitler, Italy's Benito Amilcare Andrea Mussolini, 29 July 1883 – 28 April 1945, leader of the "National Fascist Party", (NFP), who was responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Italians; Mussolini, called "Il Duce" ("The Leader"), was a violent, maniacal tyrant. When Hitler was killed in April, 1945 as he hid in his "Underground bunker", Mussolini was kicked out of office by force.

III

What history shows is the horror of war. Leaders lead; citizens follow the leaders. But, in a lot of cases, Kennedy knew that his fight was only just beginning.

~~~

Page 24