Chapter Eleven-Intermission; The McCarthy Communist hearings; 1950-4

~~~

~Quote: "Communism has never come to power in a country that is not disrupted by war or disruption...or both", unquote, Assassinated US President JFK, (May 29, 1917-November 22, 1963)

~~~

It was a time of anti-American behavior.

      The term was called "Communism". A decade before the so-called "Fear of the Reds", (Soviet Union; Russia),  in the 1960's, Joseph Raymond "Joe" McCarthy (November 14, 1908 – May 2, 1957), grew up in Grand Chute, Wisconsin. His father was Timothy McCarthy, (who was Irish); his Mother Bridget Tierney, was German.

Grand Chute was a small town, (nearby was Appleton). By 14 in 1922 after WWI, McCarthy left school to work the farm. By 1928, after being educated at Little Wolf High School, (Manawa, Wisconsin), he studied engineering, then law, (1930-5), a year after the 1929 Wall Street collapse that led to The Great Depression. McCarthy recieved a law degree at  Marquette University (Milwaukee), (the city that would be famous for killer Jeffrey Dahmer). By 1936, aged 28, McCathy became a Democrat candidate while working for a law firm.

      He was unsuccessful. By 1939, aged 31, McCarthy became a 10 District Court Judge. When other people were concerned about the "fast cases" he managed at Court, this caused severe pressure on McCarthy.

~~~

McCarthy supplemented the cases with gambling. This is important. Gambling was overseen by gangsters like Al Capone in the 1930's. But thanks to Eliot Ness and "The Untouchables", they cleaned up Chicago for the good. *The Academy Award 1987 movie starred Kevin Costner who would play Ness; Costner also played New Orleans DA Jim Garrison who attempted to get to uncover the truth about the JFK assassination. Garrison's book was part one of two books director OIiver Stone used for "JFK" movie in 1991*.  Illegal activity was rife. Criminals flashed their money. They had fancy cars, gangster molls who survived on the proceeds of crime, and moonshine was smuggled into the US...and the penalties was severe indeed.

~~~

When WWII broke out in 1939, everyone was on edge. McCarthy enlisted in  1942. He did his mlitary service for the United States Marine Corps (USMC); McCarthy became a "a Second Lieutenant". He was a "Dive bomber", and saw action in the  Solomon Islands as well asd Bougainville. McCarthy, now a Captain, said "I am a Buck Private". He was nicknamed "Tail-Gunner Joe" by his squadron friends.

~~~

McCarthy wanted to get high rewards by saying that he was deserving of various Military medals. This raised the noses of higher Military officers who already served America, (and already had 3-4-or 5 stars), and worked in tandem with the US Government to implement policies to direct America's interest into the future. After a scandal that involved a letter to Fleet Admiral Chester William Nimitz, GCB, USN (February 24, 1885 – February 20, 1966), in which he wanted honors that wasn't his, McCarthy was dismissed from the US Military.

      And, as the Military career ended, the political era, begun to thrive.

~~~

In 1946, (one year after WWII ended), McCarthy won against Robert Marion "Young Bob" La Follette, Jr. (February 6, 1895 – February 24, 1953); LaFollette, Jr, (who was part of another political family to rival The Kennedys), struggled after the defeat. A native of  Madison, Wisconsin, he was educated at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, (1913-7), at the height of WWI.

       As a Republican, he begun his political career on September 29, 1925. He served under Franklin Delano Roosevelt(January 30, 1882 – April 12, 1945), aka "FDR". He best was known was working on the historic "New Deal" legislation in 1938, (which offered better services to the US Navy).

~~~

**FDR and UK Prime Minister Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, Hon. RA (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965), and Soviet Union Leader Joseph Stalin or Iosif Vissarionovich Stalin ( 18 December 1878 – 5 March 1953), all allied against the Japanese threat during WWII. With Europe freed of Adolf Hitler's threat in April, 1945, everyone was happy. FDR, who defeated   the 31st US President Herbert Clark Hoover (August 10, 1874 – October 20, 1964), in November 1932, was  the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, (FDIC-1933); and  Social Security, (passed by the US Congrss in 1935). By the late 1930's his reforms were successful.

     By December 7, 1941, the "Pearl Harbor" attacks took everyone by surprise. The Japanese attacks in Darwin, Australia in 1942, was also "violent". Once the Japanese threat was over when nuclear bombs over Asia, (see previous chapters), the World was secure once and for all**.

~~~

McCarthy defeated Howard Johnstone McMurray (March 3, 1901 – August 14, 1961), in 1946. The native of Wisconsin, had a brief political career. He was more an academic and Professor of note. Mount Hope, Kansas was were he was born. (It was situated in Harvey County). Berea Academy was the place where McMurray was educated. He had had a job working for life insurance, (1923-8); he was also a "Air transport company Executive", (1928-35); and he was a University of Wisconsin–Madison political science teacher, (1936-42).

      He then was elected to the Seventy-eighth Congress; he served  in the years January 3, 1943  to January 3, 1945, (three months before the end of WWII). He worked for the Wisconsin's 5th congressional district. By 1947, he was the Occidental College (Los Angeles, California)  political science  Professor-(1947-9); and the  University of New Mexico Government Professor, (1949-61), (when he passed on in  Albuquerque, New Mexico). The date was:  August 14, 1961. He was buried at Fairview Park Cemetery. Joseph McCarthy fulled the political fire by inferring that Communism was destroying America by stealth. But, before I am going into the hearings, this is the history of Communism.

~~~

Page 11