Chapter Thirty-Eight-Vietnam 1955-November 22, 1963

~~~Quote: "No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then. And it is misremembered now", 37th US President Richard Milhous Nixon, (January 9, 1913 – April 22, 1994)~~~

I

The Vietnam War begun on a sour war for the US, Australia, and the UK. From the mid 1850's, the French conquered Indochina.

     During the Treaty of Huế, (6 June 1884), French diplomat, Jules Patenôtre des Noyers, (20 April 1845 – 26 December 1925), (working with China), made sure that France could do business in the region for the next 70 years.

II

The Cần Vương led by Vietnamese leader Phan Đình Phùng (1847 – January 21, 1896), rebelled against the French. And, as the 19th century ended, the initial issues of quote, "Ownership of Vietnam", unquote, caused a lot of friction.

III

After the  Yen Bai mutiny, (1930), in which there the Vietnamese wanted the French out, it wasn't until 1941, (during WWII), it was The Imperial Japanese Army, (IJA), who used force to deal with "The Enemy". *I can go on about the history of WWII but this is not that kind of book*.

IV

By the 1960's, Vietnamese President Hồ Chí Minh, (19 May 1890 – 2 September 1969), (b. "Nguyễn Sinh Cung), was a Asian communist Prime Minister, (1945-55); he was also President, (1955-69). In 1941, he led the Vietnamese independence movment; in 1945, he became the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.

      After the French Union were defeated by Hồ Chí Minh,   battle of Điện Biên Phủ, the Vietnam War ended in 1973 for the US, (and the Allies), until the war ended in 1975.

Footnote: ***When Saigon fell, the Republic of Vietnam was re-named "Hồ Chí Minh City", (after the founding father of Vietnam***.

~~~

Page 38

Brainy folks were also present in Lyndon Johnson's administration, especially in the Pentagon, where Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara's brilliant 'whiz kids' tried to micro-manage the Vietnam war, with disastrous results.

Thomas Sowell

War,Kids,Present

I'm not going to say I was opposed to the Vietnam War. I'm going to say I'm opposed to war. But I'm also opposed to protests that

Brainy folks were also present in Lyndon Johnson's administration, especially in the Pentagon, where Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara's brilliant 'whiz kids' tried to micro-manage the Vietnam war, with disastrous results.

Thomas Sowell

War,Kids,Present

I'm not going to say I was opposed to the Vietnam War. I'm going to say I'm opposed to war. But I'm also opposed to protests that