Chapter Seventeen-Presidential debates; 1960

~The history of debating in America stems from 1858, when  Abraham Lincoln debated Stephen Douglas. Douglas, a Democrat, spoke on relevant issues. The talks had varied times. For Lincoln and Douglas they had two debates: August 21-October 15, of that year. And, over the centuries, debating issues spread to US schools and colleges.

    And, with modern times with TV and online coverage on the Internet, the use of technology shows that old traditions have changed...but the battle between winning and losing is still important for average American families to know who could win The White House political race~.

~~~

By 26 September, 1960, US Vice President Richard M Nixon was battling John F Kennedy. Kennedy spoke to 70 million US viewers, about the impending Cuba threat; Nixon lost the battle. By the next issue which was focused on China, Nixon also lost. He lacked the charisma of the Massachusetts-based Kennedy persona; Nixon had no persona for TV. He crumbled; Kennedy didn't crumble. He shone; Nixon then begun his quote: "Anti-Nixon campaign", unquote, (this would eventually be let loose during the Watergate scandal of 1972, twelve years' later).

        Significantly, Nixon, (who was injured), refused to debate Kennedy again. Sadly, this proved true when Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963, three years' or so later). Nixon was a man of power. But, when he used that power, it didn't benefit America; it shattered America. Nixon continued down his dark path; Kennedy's path was all the way to becoming of the youngest US Presidents in American history.

~~~

Page 17