Chapter Fifteen-The McCarthy Communist hearings (2)

~~~

McCarthy made the speech at Republican Women's Club, (based in Wheeling in West Virginia). It was held on "Lincoln Day", (named after the assassinated 16th US President Abraham Lincoln, (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865).

    "I have a letter from South Carolina James F. Byrnes to US Congressman Adolph Joachim Sabath (April 4, 1866 – November 6, 1952), that details communist activities...and, that, 284 US workers should be employed because of their Anti-American views". And, while President Truman did "Security background checks", McCarthy's voracious appetite to destroy Communists ended in his early death...And, by the end of the hearings, led increased tension and violence, and tragedy.

~~~

McCarthy's war was a symptom of the 1950's "Us versus them" mentality. The sci fi books and movies of alien invasion and conquering humans was milked with such titles like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", (1956); "The Thing (From Another World), (1951); and "It! The The Terror from Outer Space", (1958).

    The invasion of the enemy within also symbol the American distress that caused mass panic in US schools, offices, and other places across the country...that, before the era of the 1960's, was still a headache for everyone in power.

~~~

Page 15