Chapter Thirty-Four-Civil Rights and the 1960's II; November 22, 1963

~~~Quote: "We need to guarantee equal rights and civil rights...and say that...here in America...workers have the right to organize...women have the right to choose...And justice belongs to everyone regardless of race or gender or sexual orientation", unquote, US Secretary of State, former Senator, and former Presidential Nominee, John Kerry, (1943-)~~~

I

Two years before the incident with Rosa Parks, the Sarah Keys v. Carolina Coach Company, 64 MCC 769 (1955), became a landmark case of African-American civil rights in the mid-1950's. Keys, (a Women's Army Corps ((WAC)) Private), (unknown age), complained in 1953, when she was prevented to sit with other bus passengers, (*mirroring the Parks case*).

       Keys enlisted the help of Charlottee, North Carolina Minister, and Civil Rights Lawyer,  Dovey Johnson Roundtree, (April 17, 1914-), and  US Lawyer, Julius Winfield Robertson, which fought for Keys.

The  NAACP v. St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company, 298 ICC 355 (1955); and the Brown v. Board of Education (347 US 483), (1954), cases all changed the way American law that dealt with the African-American community. NAACP, (formed in 1909), had a motto: "...To ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination”. *And Joel Elias Spingarn (May 17, 1875 – July 26, 1939), a Jewish civil rights activist, educator, and a noted literary critic, used his name to make sure the Springarn Award awarded African-American students in US schools who excelled*.

~~~

Page 34