Chapter Twenty-Six-The Cuba Missile Crisis; WWII-October 18-23, 1962

~~~Quote: "North Americans don't understand... that our country is not just Cuba; our country is also humanity", Fidel Castro, (August 13, 1926-).

I

The ending of the crisis begun with US President John F(itzgerald) Kennedy meeting Andrei Andreyevich Gromyko,  18 July 5 July,1909 – 2 July 1989, (the Russian Foreign Minister). *He was Minister of Foreign Affairs (1957–1985); and Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet, (1985–1988), a year before his death*. **Gromyko was also called "Mr. No" during the 40's because of vetoes at the UN Security Council, (UNSC)*.  He demanded an end to the conflict. But, over the next week, up to October 23, 1962, things got worse...Not better. Footnote: He approved of Russian President Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev,  (2 March 1931-), to lead Russia after his death in Moscow in 1989.

II

By October 19, 1962, with U-2 spy planes hovering over Cuba, the President used every US miitary aircrafts at his disposal:  1st Armored Division, (Georgia); 5 army divisions; The Strategic Air Command (SAC); and  B-47 Stratojet medium bombers, all were used to defeat Castro.

III

With several OPLANS in force, (including OPLAN 316); and The US Air Force and US Marines in action, President Kennedy and US Admiral George Whelan Anderson, Jr. , (December 15, 1906 – March 20, 1992),  Chief of Naval Operations (CNO); and the 8th US Secretary of Defence, Robert Strange McNamara, (June 9, 1916 – July 6, 2009), who was a native of San Francisco, California. His ancestors were Irish, (like the Kennedys, and they struggled during the 1850 Irish Potato Famine). *McNamara's father Robert James McNamara was a wholesale shoe manager; his mom, Clara Nell (Strange) McNamara, was a kind, caring woman, (her job is unknown)*.

IV

Robert McNamara's family went to America. He was educated in Massachusetts, then California. By 1933, aged 17, (he graduated from Piedmont High School), and became a Eagle Scout. And became President of the Rigma Lions boys club. By 1937, aged 21, he  was a University of California, Berkeley graduate; McNamara studied mathematics; philosophy; and economics, (getting his Bachelor of Arts degree).

        McNamara attended  the  Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. At Phi Beta Kappa he was elected during his year as a sophomore with varsity honors. McNamara recieved the Order of the Golden Bear, (at UC Berkeley); McNamara finished his education with a Harvard Business School, Master of Business School, (MBA), degree, (1939), aged 23.

V

By 1940, aged 24, McNamara was a Price Waterhouse account, (San Francisco). By August 1940, (in the second year of WWII), McNamara was a "Assistant Professor" while coming back to Harvard. Because of the war, the US Government wanted analysts to crack codes and "secret messages". While speaking the United States Army Air Forces, McNamara was a captain for the USAAF, (1943), aged 27.

        He then worked for  the "Office of Statistical Control" throughout WWII. He did analysis on the B-29 aircrafts under US Major General Curtis Emerson LeMay, (November 15, 1906 – October 1, 1990). *Major General LeMay, a native of Columbis, Ohio, was a graduate of Columbus South High School. At  Ohio State University, he majored in civil engineering. His parents,  Erving LeMay, (a ironworker), and mom Arizona Dove (Carpenter) LeMay, he controversially was a National Society of Pershing Rifles, and Professional Engineering Fraternity Theta Tau member. LeMay did flight training at Norton Field, (Columbus; 1931 to 1932). He  got married to Helen E. Maitland, (b?d 1992). **The couple had had a daughter called Patricia Jane LeMay Lodge, (known as "Janie"**). Footnote: I could go on but there could be too much information that I have been  forced to excise from this book due to time constraints.

VI

Finally, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Alain C. Enthoven, (September 10, 1930-), (1961-5), who was also a renowned economist post the Wall Street crash of 1929, Enthoven worked in "Systems Analysis". He got a B.A from Stanford University, (1952); a Oxford University Masters in the field of Philosophy, (1954); and a MIT, (Massachusetts Institute of Technlogy-MIT), (1956). He worked for the RAND (Research and Development) Corporation, -a military "think tank", (owned by  the Douglas Aircraft Company), (1956-60). He was a  American Academy of Arts and Sciences fellow; a Rhodes scholar member; and the Institute of Medicine member. Trivia: He became part of the controversial 2007 UK show "The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom".

~~~

Page 26

VII