Chapter 42

"How about we try sleeping on this. It's getting late." Luke said trying to end this already.

Then as everyone started to shuffle out of the room, I was floating. Not even in my body. Watching everything unfold. I followed the guys to the bus and got ready for bed. All without actually doing so. My mind was a pure blank. But yet my thoughts were racing and kept me up all night.

"Charlie are you still awake?" I heard someone whisper from across the bus. "Charlie?" I turned over trying to ignore him. "Please answer me."

"Why should I answer?" I ask in a tired raspy voice.

"Be- because this might be the last night together. For a while." I knew he was trying to make things easier but was making it harder for me instead.

"Fine," I said as I climbed down onto the bus floor and into his bunk. As always we were squished but it didn't bother us. Tonight though it felt different, we both felt something heavy in the air.

After a few moments he breaks the silence of the bus. "Charlie please come home with me."

"Home?" I ask opening my groggy eyes. I can barely see his green eyes in the pitch black. "This is my new home, my life now. It's finally a place where I'm happy."

"I know you feel that way but this is what we wanted for a really long time. We can finally get to know our real family."

"Tristan, my mother is dead and my father is in prison. I have no family to go back to." I say softly, biting back the tears. A fact I've always known but the truth finally hits me.

"My mom said she keeps in touch with your grandparents." He says back to me.

"I know you want to me to back with you, but I don't think that's what I want now. They've had fifteen years to decide whether or not they want me. I have a family now and so do you."

"When I asked for a family I didn't want to be adopted by a celebrity. Especially because of the media. I've seen what they can do. I'm just waiting for it to tear us apart." I knew he was right but that didn't stop me from continuing.

I start to climb out of the bunk. "If you want to go, go. I won't stop you."

I went to my bunk just to go out again. There wasn't anywhere else to go except the kitchen. There was a bag of Cheetos laying open on the counter. So I grabbed it and set down. There I let my anger go. All of the emotions released at once. Everything from the past day. It sucks knowing Tristan is leaving tomorrow and we're at a disagreement.

I hear someone get out of a bunk and see Ashton walking into the bathroom. Ignoring him I go back to eating my Cheetos. Few minutes later he scares me by sitting across from me.

"Why are you up?" Raspy voice Ashton asks. I can tell he's half asleep and probably would think this is a dream in the morning.

"Just a midnight snack," I lie. Taking another handful of Cheetos to my mouth. Careful to let only my thumb, index and middle fingers grasp the chip. It's a little weird but it's a quirk of mine.

"Alright, just don't eat too much." He muttered getting up. Already falling back asleep.

That was weird. Ashton was probably sleep walking. And he didn't notice my tear stained cheeks. Which for a moment, I forgot too. I put away the Cheetos and sit back down forgetting about my bunk in the back. And even though I was in the most uncomfortable position I feel asleep right there on the kitchen table.

Authors note
Sorry it's short but I was really in the mood to update. Obviously as you might tell there's one more chapter left. I have an epilogue in mind but you tell me if you want me to post it.

As of now I'll be taking a break from posting after I finish this story. But that doesn't mean I won't be writing. So if you want to know when I'll have a new story simply follow me.

I'm planning a Michael Clifford fanfic next *wink wink*

Thank you all