Chapter 20

Jason's POV

Tuesday, September 7th

"WAKE UP, WAKE UP, first day of school!!!" I shout loudly, shaking Natasha fiercely. "Daddy leave me alone, I want sleep, I need my sleepy time!" She mumbles back sleepily, pulling the blankets over her head.

"Nope, no way, it's time for you to go to school. It's time for the first day of second grade, baby girl." I speak with lots of enthusiasm, as I see her shake her head underneath the covers. "Well why not?" My face frowns when I see her stay still in bed.

I take a seat next to her, pulling the blankets from her face, seeing how messy her hair is from being under her many of fluffy blankets. I give her a small smile, hoping she'd return it. She did, just as big as she normally would. I even lovingly tried to pat down her crazy hair from being all over the place. Someone clearly didn't wear a ponytail or braid last night. Lots of tangles coming your way, daughter.

"What's up baby girl, why don't you want to go to school today? Don't you want to see all of your good friends? Or how about Harmony, weren't you supposed to show her to her kindergarten class?" I poke my bottom lip out sadly, hearing her little giggles. "Daddy, I don't want to leave mommy, I want to be her nurse." I sigh, running my hand through my own messy bed hair.

"Mommy is going to be alright, she wants you to go to school, too." I try to assure her, making her fold her arms over her chest, shaking her head in refusal. "Nuh uh, daddy, last time you said the same thing. Then she went into the hospital." A few tears trickled down her face.

Not wanting to see my little girl cry anymore, I lay down on her pillow with her, embracing her in my arms. Giving her all the opportunity to let her emotions free. She's clearly been hiding them inside way too long. I should've known something was up when everyone had found out about Malarie being in a coma, they all cried their eyes out. Whereas my little girl stayed strong, comforting everyone... just like how Malarie would. She's just like her, and so caring and nurturing to others.

"It's okay, let it out, Tash." I rub her back, having her head rest on my shirt covered chest. "I-I don't want to lose anymore m-mommies." She sits her head up from my chest, her green eyes all watery and slightly red, now.

"Hey, hey, you're not going lose anymore mommies, do you hear me? You're not losing mama, you're not. I won't let that ever happen, okay?" I sit us up against the nice ivory headboard on her full size bed, rocking her gently in my arms.

"Natasha Sophia Russo I a-" I use her old surname, getting her full attention when she shakes her head cutting me off. "No daddy, it's Natasha Sophia McCann. That's my last name dad, doesn't it sound pretty?" She sniffles, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands.

In that moment I couldn't help for a tear to slip out of my eye. I wipe it off as fast as I can, not wanting her to see me tear up. My little girl sees everything though, she saw me wipe it off. Being the best little person she is, she hugged me tighter, rubbing my back in soothing circles. Then boom, more tears spewing out my eye sockets.

"Yes Natasha, it sounds really pretty. I love it so much, my little Princess." I sniffle loudly, pulling her arms distance from me. "I'm scared daddy, I'm scared of mommy leaving us again." I nod sadly, pushing her wild hair out her eyes.

"I know you are, but mommy is a strong girl, she'll be just fine." I once again assure her, not liking her sad and crying. "Okay my Prince daddy, I believe you. I'll go to school today." She gives me her beautiful smile, showing all of her cute little teeth.

"Yes!" I jump up from her bed, still with her in my hands. "My baby girl is going to school today, I said my baby girl has decided to go to school today!" I shout loudly in her room, jumping up in down with her clutching onto me with a firm grip.