safe with me

shawn mendes imagines
imagine iii
-
haylee's pov

with our fingers tangled together, shawn tugged me eagerly towards the ferris wheel. a child-like smile rugged at the corner of his lips, the lights that lit up the amusement park reflecting in his brown eyes. his soft hair was messily pushed into a quiff, which gained effect after running his fingers through it multiple times.

"the wheel is always prettier to go on at night," he said, stopping as we approached the end of the line. despite being nineteen years old, he could be mistaken for a very eager child.

"i'm excited," i said, laying my head against his shoulder for a moment before raising my eyes to his.

he leaned down and gently pressed his lips to mine, snaking his arm around my waist. he pulled away, his arms remaining around me.

shawn and i have only been dating for four months today, but have been friends our whole life. he was there for me when i got out of an abusive relationship with my ex-boyfriend, tom. after that, things fell into perspective for me and i realized that deep down, i always had romantic feelings for him.

"i have to use the washroom. i'll be right back, okay?" shawn said, squeezing my hand once and letting go.

"sure, i'll save our spot in line," i smiled, watching as he walked towards the restroom.

watching shawn do something as simple as walking made me smile. i bit my lip and shook my head, sighing through a smile.

i continued to stand in line, every few minutes progressing forwards a few steps. after a few minutes, i felt a hand grab mine. thinking it was shawn, i smiled and turned around. my smile faded immediately when i seen tom. scoffing, i tore my hand from his grip.

he put his hands on my waist, causing me to flinch.

"well, look who we have here," he said, his voice low, "have you missed me, darling?"

"let me go," i whispered, trying to tug myself free.

memories of our relationship flashed in front of me, causing me to panic.

"i see it hasn't taken you long to find someone else," he said, only tightening his grip, "like the slut you are."

"let me go," i repeated, feeling worry creeping through me. tears soon blurred my vision, and i prayed shawn would be back soon.

i shoved him, which only made him aggressive. he snatched my arm, twisting it within his hold. i whimpered, a yelp slipping past my lips. a voice rang out through the forming crowd before anything else happened.

"hey!"

shawn.

he hurried towards me, and tom let me go. shawn quickly pushed me behind him, his arm out protectively. i gripped my forearm, a dull throb causing me to bite my lip in pain.

"never touch her again, got it?" shawn said, a low growl coming from somewhere low in his throat.

tom let out a playful cry, "i'm so scared. whatever, enjoy my sloppy seconds."