things will get better

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xxxiii
-
nicole's pov

as i sat in the living room, my eyes burned with tears. i blinked them back though, knowing that i had to be strong for the sake of the crying boy next to me who had his head in my lap.

shawn nor i spoke, as i gently rubbed his back to subside his cries. a cry rippled through his body and I bit he inside of my lip, almost breaking at the sight of my boyfriend.

"baby, you have to sit up," i mumbled meekly, placing my hands on his shoulders.

weak, he pushed himself up and i was met with his red and puffy cheeks; along with his bloodshot eyes. he wrapped his arms around my waist and laid his head in the crook of my neck, letting his tears fall onto the fabric of my shirt.

"y-hou should have heard her scream, nicole, she was in so much pain," shawn said, another sob pouring from his lips as he thought back to the memory of losing his younger sister to a drunk driver.

"shhh," i cooed, almost falling asleep from the early hours of the morning, "she's not suffering shawn, and you know that she wouldn't want you to feel this upset."

shawn's sister aaliyah was at a friends for a sleepover but wanted to come home in the middle of the night. shawn went to pick her up and on the way back, they were hit by a drunk driver. shawn didn't have any injuries, and was escorted to my apartment by a policeman. but poor aaliyah had too many, so his parents followed the ambulance to the hospital.

"that drunk ass man killed my sister and i had to survive, why couldn't it have been me? she had more life to live, she was only twelve," he said, his voice hoarse from crying.

"shawn-"

"it hurts s-so much," he cut me off, "why did this happen? this has t-to be some fucked up dream. i-i can't lose her!"

"baby, i know it hurts. what happened to aaliyah is terrible but you're okay, do you know how upset i would have been if you both didn't make it, shawn? i'd be so upset," i said, holding his face in my hands and running my thumb along his jaw. a tear slipped down my cheek just from the thought of him not making it, and he reached up and wiped it away.

his lip was busted, his forehead was sliced, and there was a dark bruise on his cheekbone. i brushed my fingers gently over the damage, then pressing my lips to his temple. i continued to hold him, thankful that he didn't suffer anything extensive on top of losing aaliyah.

"i know," he sniffled, "it's just not fair."

"it's know it's not, baby, but i can promise you one thing," i said, taking his hand in mine and intertwining our fingers.

"what?" his lip quivered, causing me to frown.

"things will get better," i assured, leaning in and kissing his forehead.

"w-will you come with me?" he croaked.

"to where, sweetheart?" i asked, brushing his hair off of his forehead.

"the h-hospital, i-i want to go and s-say goodbye to her because i know she's gone," shawn cried, his body falling onto mine again.

"shhh," i quieted him, running my hands along his arms, "of course i will, let me get changed right quick and we can head over to the hospital." i kissed him, before standing up.

i hurried up to my room and jumped into a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt, pulling my hair into a messy ponytail and putting my phone in my pocket. the fact that aaliyah was gone was so surreal that it seemed like a joke. feeling tears burn in my eyes again, i quickly shook them off knowing shawn needed my support.

i went down stairs and found him pacing the living room. i approached him from behind and took his hand, causing him to flinch. i rubbed the back with my thumb and led him outside and to my car. we got in, and he tensed.

"we're safe, don't worry," i said, knowing his anxiety was creeping up on him.

"i know," he said, his voice nothing but a whisper.

i took his hand with my free one and began the painfully long drive to the hospital where my boyfriends world was going to come crashing down.

wc: 766

all works by me:
- shawn mendes imagines
- therapy |s.m|