"please dont let my brother die"

shawn mendes imagines
imagine lxvii
-
celia's pov

i grabbed my newest patients files and went to the waiting room.

"is anyone here for shawn mendes?" i asked quietly, knowing the clock was nearing midnight.

a woman stood up with trails of tears along her cheeks and her hair messily pulled up.

"relation?" i asked.

"h-he's my s-son," she hiccuped.

"i'm so sorry about this. i'm celia, and i will be the nurse in charge of him for the duration of his stay," i said, flipping through his chart.

"thank you," she said, her voice hoarse, "tell me he's o-okay."

"he's alive. he is however in a coma-" the woman choked back a sob. "he did lose a lot of blood in the accident but was conscious until he got to the hospital. the ruptured nerves were fixed and the internal bleeding was stopped. internally, he is going to be in a lot of pain. to rupture that many nerves is one of the most painful things, and i am assuring you he will be in it when we wake him."

"what do you mean?" she asked, her brows pulling together.

"i'm sorry, but he is in an induced coma," i said.

"i-i don't k-know what that means," she got worked up quickly, and i assured her.

"it's totally fine, an induced coma is a coma that is induce by a doctor. if shawn was awake right now, his overall health would be comprised. right now he is stable, and we would like to keep it that way until he has healed," i explained, "really it is up to the family when we wake the patient-"

"please, keep him asleep for as long as you need," the woman said, "i just want my baby to heal." the man that was sitting down, had a sleeping girl against his side. he reached up and took the woman's hand, a hopefully calming gesture.

she sat back down, still looking incredibly uneasy.

"how long do you suspect he will have to be under in order to recover properly?" the man asked.

"like i said before, the parents can make us wake them whenever. but, in my opinion, at least for the next week," i said.

"we aren't waking him early," he denied, "that could harm him, couldn't it?"

"it could extremely," i agreed.

the woman nodded and wiped away her tears.

"he is in the icu as of right now and is under twenty four seven watch. he just came out of surgery and i will be in with him until the next nurse comes in to work tomorrow morning," i explained.

who i assumed to be his sister woke up, rubbing her bloodshot eyes and looking at me.

"is shawn going t-to be okay? i-is he-"

"he is okay sweetheart," the man said, kissing her forehead, "he's going to be asleep for the next little bit so he can get better, but he will wake up."

she looked at me as if asking for the truth, and i nodded my head, "he spoke to paramedic the whole way here, not clearly, but he was conscious. would you like me to take you to see him?"

she looked back at her parents as if asking permission, them returning the gesture with a small nod and weak smile. she looked back at me and nodded, standing up from her chair. i smiled and walked down the hallway towards the icu, with the young girl trailing behind me.

"i'm nervous," i heard her say.

"it's okay to be nervous. he can hear everything you say to him, so talk to him. i bet he'd love it. are you his sister?" i asked, approaching the room that shawn was in.

"yeah," she said.

i nodded and opened the door, allowing her to walk in ahead of me. a couple nurses were making sure all his machines were hooked up right before they left, leaving it the three of us. she slowly approached the brunette who was lying in the bed, taking his hand in hers.

"oh my god," she mumbled, beginning to cry.

she leaned in and wrapped her arms around him, crying against his shoulder. sadness washed over me when he remained still, the only movement being his chest rising and falling slowly.

"i love you shawn, i know i'm always annoying and stuff, but your the best brother ever. i'm sorry i don't tell you enough," she sniffled, causing my heart to break.

i was in university to become a nurse and was just doing some experience hours. the hospital was short staffed when a mass shooting broke out, and asked me if shawn could be my patient.

she turned around and looked at me, speaking six barely audible words.

"Please don't let my brother die."

"i'll be here all night with your brother, watching him to make sure he's okay. i'll do everything i can, okay?" i said softly, smiling down at the girl.

"okay," she said, turning back around to face him again.

when she was done talking with him, i took her back to her parents and she started to cry all over again.

"i really don't want him to die, m-mom. i-i-"

"shhhh, it's okay aaliyah. we don't want to lose him either," her mother said, hugging her.

"visiting hours are over, but i could take you in for a quick visit," i said, nodding towards the icu hall.

"he needs rest, we'll be in tomorrow morning to see him," his mom said, "thank you for sitting with him tonight."

"you're welcome," i nodded.

bidding goodbyes, i turn and hurry back to shawn's room. i open the door and close it behind me, sitting down on the couch and charting the numbers on his heart monitor. looking up at him, his brown hair was messily pushed away from his forehead and his eyes were shut.

he looked a lot more peaceful then when he arrived on the ambulance, the pain of multiple gunshot wounds being too much for his body to take.

for some reason, when i looked at him my heart fluttered. i shoved the thought aside and grabbed my nursing book, beginning to study for an upcoming exam. i was to check his numbers every hour and did that until six the next morning.

when the clock did finally hit six, the next nurse came in for her shift. i smiled at her and packed up my stuff, taking one last glance at the monitors above his head. i smiled slightly down at him and left, heading home where i would have one of the best sleeps of my life.

but for some reason, that didn't happen.

because shawn was the only thing on my mind

wc: 1146

all works by me:
- shawn mendes imagines
- instagram |s.m|