royalty {part two}

shawn mendes imagines
imagine lxxxiii
-
shawn's pov

today is the day.

the day that i am watching the girl i love walk down the aisle and marry another man.

all throughout last night, i have considered objected to the marriage.

but everyone was going to see her marry the prince and i wasn't going to ruin that.

i sighed quietly, staring at my mother who was adjusting my tie. i was wearing a simple black suit, with a white button up underneath the open blazer.

"you seem like you have lots on your mind darling," mom said, stepping away once she was finished.

"no," i denied too quickly, "i'm fine."

"okay," she said unsurely, "our ride to the venue will be here in five minutes. be ready please." she turned and went for my door after sending another smile in my direction.

"mom-" i stopped her.

she turned back to face me, "yes?"

"did you marry dad like alesia will marry the prince? was it arranged?" i asked, "do you actually love him?"

mom walked back towards me and sat on the edge of my made bed, patting the spot next to her. i sat, waiting for her to speak, "i love your father dearly. when we married, this tradition wasn't in place. he proposed to me after getting my parents' blessing and from there, it was perfect."

"what would have happened if you two had an arranged marriage, but weren't happy?" i questioned.

"i suppose we would have divorced, but the process would have been far too complicated and would have caused distress within the kingdom," she said, "you seem very interested in this."

"i am," i lied, hoping to keep her talking, "can i ask one more question?"

"of course," she said, nodding.

"if someone objects at the wedding, then the whole thing is off?"

"yes," she said, "if someone was to stand and object, even though it isn't orderly, it can surpass without consequence. the person that objected, the bride and groom, and the family of either has to meet and discuss things. why they objected and what not," she said, "honey, is there something you aren't telling me?"

"no, i'm just interested. this tradition has been in place since i was born and i always had questions," i answered somewhat truthfully.

"okay," she stood, "i bet our ride will be here soon, so we better head to the main area."

"okay," i nodded, standing and following her downstairs.

"ready?" dad and aaliyah emerged from the kitchen, each of them with a sweater or jacket sling over their arm.

"yes," mom nodded, opening the front door and confirming that our limo was here for us.

we all exited out home and got into the car, closing the door behind us.

"i'm so excited to see the princess! i bet she looks so pretty!" aaliyah gushed.