deployed {part two}

shawn mendes imagines
imagine lxii
-
makayla's pov

i was deep in slumber when my alarm clock tore me from my sleep. i shifted in my sleep and reached my arm out from the duvet, turning off the blaring alarm. i took my phone and turned it on, the date that greeted me almost causing me to cry.

shawn is coming home today.

it's been a long year and a half-- especially with little communication between us-- but it's finally over. the last time we talked was four months ago when jada turned seven.

i got up and went to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and washing my face. shawn's flight lands at six thirty, so it was very early for jada to be awake.

i went back to my room and seen her sleeping under the covers. she was so excited about shawn's arrival that she couldnt sleep last night, so she came in with me. i smiled slightly and walked over to her, kissing her forehead and pulling the blankets closer to her body so she would stay warm

i grabbed a pair of blue skinny jeans and a shirt, pulling on shawn's obey hoodie he had given me on our first date when i got too cold. i pulled my hair into a pony tail and sighed, failing in hiding the smile that crept onto my face.

i entered jada's room and grab her a pair of pants, a shirt, and a sweater. i grab her shoes and go back into my room, sitting on the edge of the bed next to her small figure. i place my hand on the small of her back and felt her stir, burying her face in the pillow.

"sweetheart," i whispered, "you have to get up. daddy is coming home today."

at those words, she stiffened under my touch. she was still tired, but turned onto her back and looked at me with sleepy eyes, "daddy's coming home?"

"yeah," i bit my lip, my heart fluttering in excitement, "he is. we soon have to go get him so i need you to get dressed."

i helped her get dressed and we went downstairs, making sure we had everything. i opened the front door when jada hurriedly ran back upstairs.

"sweetheart! where are you going?" i called out to her. when i got no response, i sighed.

it wasn't long before she came back downstairs, taking one step at a time. in her hands, she had another one of shawn's hoodies that he gave to her shortly before he left. she loved it mainly because it 'smelled like him,' so whenever she wasn't around, i sprayed the tiniest amount of his cologne onto the sweater.

she pulled it over her head and i helped her guide her arms through the sleeves. she smiled brightly, pulling the material to her nose and breathing in, "it still smells like daddy." i smiled, before grabbing her hand and stepping outside.

i buckled her into the car seat and got in the drivers seat, starting the car and pulling out of the driveway. i looked into the rearview mirror and seen her eyes falling again, "go to sleep hun, the airport is a long drive from home."

i played the radio softly to kill the silence of the hour and a half drive. when i pulled up, i parked and shut off the engine. turning in my seat, i seen jada asleep. her small body buried under shawn's hoodie made me all the more excited for not only shawn and i's reunion, but his and jada's too. smiling, i got out and opened her door, pulling her into my arms. she sleepily adjusted her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arms around my neck.