we will be just fine {part two}

shawn mendes imagines
imagine lxxxvi
-
emily's pov

it's been eleven months since shawn had been diagnosed with lung cancer, and he's been strong ever since. we sat carly down and explained to her that shawn was sick, but shes only young and didn't fully understand the situation.

he hasn't had chemo for the last three months and today, he had a follow up appointment. the doctors ran some tests and scans a week ago and they called saying that they wanted him to go in and discuss the results.

i could see it when he tried his best to breathe.

i could see him sitting on our bed crying through the small crack in the door.

but, in a way, i seen him get stronger.

after he told me about the cancer, he had his first round of chemo shortly afterwards. carly didn't like it, she hated seeing him so weak with needles going into his arms. she cowered around me for most of his first chemo session, and when shawn stopped breathing due to his bronchial tubes contracing and had to get a room and had a tube put down in throat; she has to leave the room.

she cried onto my shoulder, mumbling over and over that she 'didn't want to lose her daddy.'

later that evening, once he was awak, i took her in to see him. even though the tube was still in his throat and he couldn't speak, he welcomed her with open arms.

she laid beside him and even fell asleep, the silence being filled by me holdin  shawn's hand to comfort him.

ever since then, she came with us when he had chemo. she slowly got used to seeing him with needles in his arm, and eventually she just paid no mind to it. instead, she sat next to him in the big chair and they read stories that she brought from home, giggling every time he weakly reached over and tickled her sides.

he was so weak.

i was in the kitchen, answering an e-mail at the table when carly came around the corner with her hands full of small books. a few slipped from her hands and hit the floor, causing me to chuckle. i stood up and hurried over, picking up the books from the floor.

"hey sweet pea, you aren't going to need those today. daddy just has a checkup today, we wont be there for long," i said quietly, taking the books from her hands and stacking them in a pile on the table.

"okay, where's daddy?" she asked.

"daddy is resting on the couch, do you want to go wake him?" i asked her, kneeling down to her height and nodding towards the living room.

she nodded and scurried off into the living room, me following suit.

she clambered up on the couch and plopped herself down in the nape of shawn's back, reaching up and gently poking his cheek. i chuckled softly, leaning against the living room entryway. shawn's sleepy brown eyes fluttered open, a small smile spreading across his lips.

carly slipped off of his back and allowed him to push himself up, then clambering onto his lap.

he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer, peppering her small face with kisses.