its you {rewritten}

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xxxv
-
rebecca's pov
dedicated to: mendessmuffin

two years ago today marks the day i met my idol, shawn mendes.

except back then, his career was only just taking off.

now, he's the worlds biggest thing.

i had stage two leukemia and the doctors didn't think i was going to make it, so they gave me one wish from the wishco foundation. of course i made my dying wish to meet shawn mendes, because he's shawn mendes.

who wouldn't wish for that?

i remember the day he came into my hospital room.

i started to cry and he held my hand, tearing up too. he told me how thankful he was to have fans like me supporting him and that he wouldn't be where he is today if it wasn't for me. he kissed my cheek and we took pictures. i thanked him for helping me get through some hard times in my life, and i remember his expression falling. he apologized, a tear falling down his face.

"why are you sorry?" i questioned, fearing i said something wrong.

"i'm sorry that i couldn't get you through this," he replied, my heart shattering into pieces.

after that, we talked.

he made me feel like i wasn't dying and that i was a normal, healthy person. he was sensitive around the cancer topic, but i assured him that any questions he had, i would answer. everything was going great, until the worst had to happen.

my lungs started filling with fluids, causing me to lack the oxygen that i needed. i was gasping, screaming and crying, taking him by surprise. i pleaded for someone to help me, to make the burning sensation in my chest go away. nurses rushed in upon hearing shawn's calls for one and the last thing i remember was the horrific look on his face when he was shoved out of the room.

i was rushed into surgery and they drained my lungs, giving us the news that i feared. there were no new tumours, but the one i had was spreading out of their control. they said they were going to try only one more round of chemo, then things were no longer within their control.

i was too weak.

strangely, the last round of chemo worked a miracle. the tumors started to shrink, and with a few more surgeries, i was pronounced clear six months after. i still go for check-ups, but the doctor said that there is little chance of the cancer ever coming back due to the intense treatments.

now, two years later, i am back to normal.

or as normal as i could get.

today was an exciting day as i was going to one of Shawn's meet and greets. i couldn't get the concert tickets, which sucked, but meet and greet tickets were the next best thing. i had a pair of leggings and my maroon obey sweatshirt on, my hair was curled loosely and i did a little extra with my makeup. after making sure i had everything, i was ready.

i met mom downstairs and we walked to the car. g tting in, mom chuckled at how excited i was. we buckled up and headed to the venue.

skip drive

the line to meet shawn was huge, and to make it better,  was near the back. minute after minute, i found myself inching closer to shawn, until i was only one person away from him.

"are you excited?" a voice asked, causing me to look up and see a girl grinning at me.

"yeah," i replied shyly, "have you met him before?"