gone

shawn mendes imagines
imagine xvi
-
danielle's pov

as shawn stood in the doorway of the small hospital room, i sat next to my mom, who was laying in the bed. 

 she was involved in a three way car wreck earlier this morning on her way home from work, causing very severe injuries both inside and out.

broken ribs, broken spinal cord, internal bleeding...

they knew she wasn't going to make it.

she took in a sharp breath, wincing. shifting her gaze to mine, her blue eyes met mine, "look at you, you're all grown up." her finger weakly traced over the diamond that was on my left ring finger as she spoke.

i laughed meekly, rubbing my thumb across her knuckles in response. 

"i love you, danielle, so, so much," her voice was hoarse and strained, "i know shawn will take good care of you. you definitely lucked out with him, and i couldn't be more grateful."

"i did luck out, didn't i?" i said, tears leaving my eyes as shawn joined my side, his hand finding my shoulder, "he's here with me. has been all day."

her eyes closed slowly, her grip on my hand becoming looser. for a brief moment, they opened again and locked on shawn, "please, n-never hurt my little girl. don't let me down."

"i won't let you down," shawn said immediatley, his arm moving to my waist, "i never would. i love her so much."

she nodded slowly and her eyes shut again, but two quiet words slipped past her lips, "me too. my angel."

but this time when her eyes closed, they closed for good.

after a moment, her monitors started beeping rapidly. a nurse who was standing just outside of the door, heard the commotion and hurried in, "she's crashing! code blue, i need a crash cart in here!"

"no," i mumbled, "no, please, no!" my pulse filled my ears, drowning out any other noise. 

i felt shawn pull me away from the bed as more nurses rushed in. a doctor pushed us both from the room, causing a sob to leave my lips. i crouched over, feeling shawn try and hold me up. i pushed against his grip, desperate to get back in with mom.

"no! please! let me go, shawn!" i continued to fight against shawn's grip, but failed in the end, "n-no.."

shawn pulled me into him when i fell limp, pressing my head into the nape of his neck where i began to cry hysterically. shawn rubbed my back, but it failed in trying to calm me down, "shawn, m-my m-mom's g-gone!" i balled up the material of his sweater in my fist.

"i'm so sorry my love, so, so sorry," he soothed, pressing his lips against my temple, "i'm here baby, right here. shhhhhh."

i held onto him tight, his arms being the only thing that kept me on my feet.

"this has to be a-a d-dream," i said, my body shaking as i cried. i balled up the material of his sweater into my fist, a tremor rocking me violently, "i-i can't believe that she's gone."

"i'm sorry danielle," he whispered, his lips lingering over my temple, "she's with your dad now. you know that's what she wanted." he squeezed my hands within his, and i let out another meek cry.

my tense muscles relaxed, but i didn't stop crying. i felt my heart tighten. clenching, pulling and tearing into pieces, "s-shawn, oh my god! sh-he won't even be there to w-walk me down the aisle." i whimpered, thinking about how my mother, nor my father, would be at our wedding. "our future kids won't meet their grandparents."

"i know," shawn whispered, "but we will just tell them how amazing they both were, and show them every picture we have." he snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me close to him, resting his head on my shoulder for a moment.

"shawn, it hurts. please, m-make the pain go a-away." i sobbed again, closing my eyes.

he pulled away, "i will try my hardest to make it go away, baby girl. i will do everything i can to make the pain go away," in attempt to soothe me, he gently kissed me.

"shawn," i felt as though multiple waves of panic were crashing into me, causing me to pull away immediately.

"yes, sweetheart?" shawn said, his eyes pooling with tears upon seeing my state. his arms were still around me, as if he was scared i would tumble to the floor if he let go.

"i love you, please never leave me. you're all i have left," i cried, thinking about how if shawn left me, i would be all alone, "i don't think i could be alone right now."

"danielle," he seemed taken back, "i would never leave you, ever. i'm going to be here for you this whole time. i would never let your mom down, or you. i love you so much."

i nodded my head, letting it fall to shawn's shoulder. his hands moved to my back, and he rubbed soothingly.

"let's go home, okay? being here is only going to make you feel worse," he said, his voice thick with tears.

i nodded weakly, allowing him to take my emotionally exhausted body home.

wc: 890

all works by me:
- shawn mendes imagines
- instagram |s.m|